Chapter Two

Mae's Perspective

Rosa is completely different from how she was when I first met her on the plane. She's awesome. There are so many words that could describe her, but honestly, awesome pretty much sums it up. We decided on a restaurant called Casa Faustino, which was a quick walk from the airport. During our time at lunch so far, I've gotten to learn so many things about Rosa.

She was born in her dad's home hometown, Culiacan, Mexico, and spent the first 10 years of her life living there. That's where she learned Spanish. 

Then when she was 11, her parents divorced and her mom brought Rosa to live with her in her hometown, Toulouse, France. That's where she learned how to speak French. 

After graduating high school, she decided to take a few years off before heading off to college. She moved back and forth between Italy, Germany, and Portugal. During that short period of time, she was able to learn how to speak fluent German, become almost fluent in Italian, and learn and be able to understand a lot of Portuguese. I have no idea how. 

After her break, she went to FREAKING HARVARD. This girl is a literal genius. She decided to come to Spain because, and I quote, "she thought it would be fun". Rosa is insane. In a good way though.

"Well, enough about me. What's your story?" She asks all her attention suddenly focused on me.

"Um, it's definitely not as exciting as yours. Pretty much just your average 23-year-old girl. Took a gap year before spending four years at NYU. I graduated last spring with a Master's in business management. Decided that I needed a fresh start, so I got on a plane and flew here. That pretty much sums it up"

"Oh, that's cool!"

"Girl, please. It's nothing compared to your life."

She rolls her eyes and smiles.

"Whatever. I'm sure it was fun. Where did you go during your gap year?"

"Oh, kind of just all over Europe. You know, all the tourist destinations."

Ok, to be honest, that was sorta a lie. But what happened over my gap year was something that I wanted to forget and not talk about. At all. Rosa stares at me though, clearly waiting for more information. So, I just name a few places I know.

"Eiffel Tower, The Colosseum, Big Ben. You know, those kinds of places."

"Ooooo The Colosseum. Wasn't it just amazing!"

She starts to go on a long rant about how she loves The Colosseum and Italy and blah blah blah. I'm thankful that she believed my lie.

"So where are you going to live?"

Thank God she's done talking about The Colosseum.

"Well, I found this really cute apartment just south of Camp Nou. Two bedrooms, one bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, little office. Had a stunning view too. It had a lot of space, which is something I need. Sadly, it's a little out of my price range though. I guess I'll have to look for a new place."

I look up to see a wide smile dancing across Rosa's face.

"I have a crazy idea."

I already have a feeling about where this conversation is going.

"What?"

"How about we split the cost of rent for the apartment, and live there together? If it's two bedrooms then we could each have our own bedroom, and you said there was a lot of space, right? I have money, and to be honest, I don't really know where I'm going. It would be nice to settle down for once, and well, not be alone."

I have to admit, her idea isn't bad. It would be fun to live with someone, especially someone like Rosa. I never had the chance in college because I chose to live alone and didn't really have any friends. Besides, splitting the cost would save me a TON of money.

"You know what Rosa, let's do it! I don't see why not!"

I reach my hand out to her.

"I'll contact the renters to see if we can go check it out first thing tomorrow!"

Rosa pulls me in tight for a hug.

"Ahh, this is so exciting!" 

So, what did you guys think? Is Rosa a genius, or what? Another short chapter, but I promise we are getting closer to the goods parts :) Also, next chapter will be coming out on Wednesday! (4/12/23)