Chapter Thirteen

Mae's Perspective

Thank God for once in my life, the weather app was actually correct. When I checked the weather this morning, it said it would be a high of 88 degrees, with not a single cloud in the sky. So, I took this opportunity to wear a red tank top with a pair of overalls over it. I decided to pair the outfit with a red Nike baseball cap that I had thrifted a while ago, my red, black, and white Jordans, and a simple red purse. I had a lot of red going on in my outfit and I absolutely loved it.

Now I was waiting at a bench in Ciutadella Park for Gavi

Now I was waiting at a bench in Ciutadella Park for Gavi. I was very excited for the date, but also a bit nervous. I hadn't been on a date in a while, and wasn't really sure to expect, especially with a guy like Gavi who doesn't seem like he's had much experience.

After about 5 minutes of waiting, I see a guy walking over in a hat and pair of sunglasses. It must be him. He waves to me, and instantly my heart flutters.

"Hello," he greets me, as he gives me a quick kiss on my left cheek, then the right.

"You look beautiful," he says as he smiles.

The beating in my chest only gets louder at those words.

"Thank you," I blush, shying away for a moment.

I can't remember the last time a man told me something like that, and genuinely meant it. Typically, guys will just say something like that to get in your pants. But with him, it just felt so real.

"Are you hungry? I saw a cute little restaurant with and outdoor patio over by the fountain," he points out.

I can hear the light rumble in my stomach and instantly agree. We start to head over, when I wonder why he's still wearing the hat and sunglasses. I look around for a moment, then realize that it's probably because of the weather, considering how hot it is.

We arrive at the restaurant, and a server takes us to our seats, a cute little table outside. The table is shaded, yet I can still feel the sun beams hitting my back, sending a warm delight through my body. I absolutely love that it's finally sunny.

"Isn't the weather just amazing today? I'm so glad that it is finally sunny and warm out. I was getting a bit sick of the cold," he says, reading my mind.

"I couldn't agree more," I laugh.

We order some drinks and appetizers, and immediately become deep in conversation. I tell him about where I'm from and some things about college, and he tells me about Spain and some of the amazing things he's done around here. Our conversation flows and feels almost relaxing in a way. He's so easy to talk to.

Before we know it, we finished our food and paid the bill. We of course split it, for I will always be a 50/50 split person.

We decide to walk around the park for a bit, before it gets too late. He shows me all of the amazing architecture of the park, and I am in awe. It's stunning.

We continue to talk, and that's what I remember what I wanted to tell him.

"Oh my gosh, you're not going to believe what happened at the Barcelona game yesterday!"

"What happened?" he asks, a small grin appearing on his face. I must add, a bit of a familiar grin.

"After the game, your name twin, one of my favorite players, pointed at ME! And guess what he did? He gave me his freaking jersey! I was completely shocked. I mean, going to a Barcelona game has always been my dream and I've always loved them. And the fact that I got a players jersey at my first ever game is just crazy...."

Shit.

Shit shit shit.

He hasn't said anything. I should just shut up.

"Sorry."

He looks at me, completely confused.

"Why are you apologizing?"

Now I'm the shocked one.

"Well, I guess I just assumed you wouldn't want to hear me talk about that kind of stuff. That's kind of how like every guy is..." I trail off. I really just need to stop talking.

"Well I'm not like that. What makes you think I am?"

Oh God, now I've probably offended him.

"It's not you at all, no. In fact, you seem like the last person who would get annoyed. It's just, every single guy I've ever dated would get annoyed at me whenever I would talk about Barcelona or just football in general. I don't know if it was because I was a girl and the idea of a girl liking something like football made them annoyed, or if it was because they just thought I just liked it because of the guys, which isn't true. But, I don't know. That's just how it's always been and I didn't want to upset you or anything.

I probably seem like a total dick right now.

Instead of saying anything, he just pulls me in, and hugs me. Yes, hugs me. It was the last thing that I expected, but the second he does it, it feels as if all my problems have melted away.

"I'm sorry that you've had to experience that. They were probably all just jealous that you knew football better than them."

I can't help but break into a giggle.

"Thank you," I laugh.

I glance at my phone, and am shocked to find that it's already 19:00 (7:00 pm). I hadn't even realized that it started to get dark.

"Ugh, why do i have to have work so early tomorrow?" he complains as he stares at his phone.

"What time I ask?" Curious to see what time he has to be at work for his mystery job.

"7 in the morning."

"Oof, that's early. I'll still be in bed," I tease.

He rolls his eyes as he walks me over to my car.

"I had a lot of fun with you today," he admits.

"I did too."

"Is it weird if I ask you out on another date while we are still on our first one?"

"Definitely not," I respond eagerly, already looking forward to it.

"I'll text you," he says as he helps me into my car.

"How about you call me?"

He pauses to think for a moment, then says, "Of course. I'll have to make sure I'm in a secluded area away from my friends, otherwise they'll embarrass the shit out of me."

"Okay," I laugh, as I pull him towards my car window. I give him a quick kiss on the cheek, before starting my car.

"You missed," he points out with a smile.

"Oh, don't worry. I won't miss next time."

First chapter of May! May, just like our girl Mae! This was a bit of a quick chapter. Don't really like this chapter, but oh well. I wanted it to go a bit different, but the words weren't flowing, so this is what you get:) Next chapter comes out Thursday! (5/4/23)