Chapter Six

Mae's Perspective

Guys are dumb. They think girls are blind. When I noticed a group of guys pointing and staring, I just ignored it. When one of them started to walk over, I ignored him. When he sat down, I ignored him. BUT THEN, this guy had THE AUDACITY to ask me IF I'M EMO.

Like what the hell. Does he think that's how you get a girl? By asking her something like that. Once he asked me, I was shocked. But if I'm being honest, I think he was shocked too. And maybe I'm being a little dramatic. It was kinda funny, so I decided to play along.

"No, I'm not. Are you stupid?"

What?" he asked, his voice filled with surprise and confusion.

"Ya, are you stupid? I'm pretty sure only stupid people wear sunglasses and a hat while they are indoors at nighttime."

He's silent for a moment, clearly trying to process what I just said. Should I let him think I'm serious, or should I tell him that I was just joking?

I decided to go with the latter.

"Don't worry about it," I say playfully as I nudge his shoulder with mine.

"I'm just messing around. It was totally worth it."

My words seem to relieve him as I watch as his body starts to relax.

He lets out a small sigh and says, "Oh, well that's good. I thought that you were really mad or something and I had totally screwed this up."

"Hey, don't worry about it. Did your friends tell you to say that?" I ask, as I nod my head over to his friends who are huddled in a corner watching us.

"Uh, ya. Something like that. What I meant to say was, um..."

He pauses for a moment then turns to look towards his friends. I pretend to not notice as I watch them give him a thumbs-up.

"I think that you're really pretty..." His voice quiets and he turns away, clearly a bit embarrassed.

I decide not to tease him, and instead, I take the compliment.

"Well aren't you sweet. Thank you." I say as I smile.

This guy seems to be a good guy, with a nice personality. Just my type. I've always preferred personality over looks, especially after....

No. I don't need to be thinking about him right now.

My mind wanders to me and Rosa's deal for a second, and that's when I get an idea.

"Hey....do you maybe wanna get out of here?" I ask, a bit nervous he might reject my offer.

"Like...?"

"Go back to my place maybe. And you know... Only if you want to though! I don't want to pressure you or anything."

Mae just shut your mouth. Now you're the one making a fool out of yourself.

He turns away for a second, then turns back to me with a smile on his face.

"Sure, why not?"

Oh? He said yes? This is actually exciting. I can't remember the last time I did this.

"Ok! Would you mind if I just let my friend know?" I ask, remembering what me and Rosa had agreed on.

"Ya that's totally fine. I'll just be waiting here."

I nod my head then head off towards the large crowd of people.

Gavi's Perspective

Did that actually just happen? Did a girl who's not just really pretty, but also really funny and nice, just make a move on me?

As she walks towards the dance floor and out of my view, all the guys suddenly come rushing over.

"Awww did emo girl ditch you? I guess that it just wasn't meant to be," Raphinha jokes.

"What are you guys doing here? She's gonna be back at any moment."

If she comes back and they are still her, I know for a fact that she'll turn right back around and leave.

"Wait, what do you mean? Are you saying she didn't ditch you," Pedri asks.

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. In fact, once she gets back, we're out of here. So you guys need to leave!"

Silence. None of them say a word, but instead, they stare at me in shock. That's when Pedri finally speaks up.

"Guys, I think we should get going."

They all mumble agreement and begin to walk away. I hear someone mutter under their breath, "I can't believe he actually did it.

At the same time that they're leaving, the girl starts to walk back over to me. She smiles as she comes up to me, and I stand up to meet her.

"Are you ready to go?" I ask.

"Yup! Turns out my friend won't be home tonight, so this works out perfectly! Oh by the way, you don't mind walking right. My apartment is about a 25 minute walk from here."

"That's fine with me," I say as we step outside. We are greeted by the cold air, and a black sky filled with beautiful shining stars and a bright full moon.

"Wow, it really is beautiful out tonight."

I turn to look at her and find her admiring the stars in awe. The light from the moon almost illuminates her, giving her an unnatural, yet beautiful glow.

"Ya, it really is." I say, unable to pull my eyes away from her.

A bit of a longer chapter, ya? I know that the whole 25 minute walking distance really doesn't make much sense, but just ignore that ok. You'll see why in the next chapter, which will be coming out on Wednesday! (4/19/23)