Chapter Thirty-Nine

Mae's Perspective

I'm a nervous person, I'll admit that. I get nervous over the smallest things, whether it's ordering food or having to talk to new people. In all the 23 years I have lived, I have never been this nervous.

I walk towards the door of the intimidating office building that practically towers over the city, standing out like a king among commoners. TTS International was the literal definition of power. They were well know throughout the world, and had shocked the world when the company quickly rose to the top.

The company was founded in 1995, by a man who came from humble beginnings. His hard work was what caused the company to climb the ranks. Antonio Garcia the mastermind behind TTS International, and was still ruling his empire even at the age of 80.

Many people wondered who would take over the company once he passed, considering how he didn't have any children who could inherit his kingdom.

I had done my research, wanting to make sure I knew everything about TTS International before my interview.

As I approached the front desk, I could feel my heart slowly starting to speed up, and the sweat on my hands beginning to form.

"Um, hi. I'm here for an interview. The email I got just said I needed to tell you my name," I say unsurely.

The email I received had never really specified what position they were looking to hire me for, so I didn't really have an idea of what I was walking into.

The lady looks up at me, and her eyes immediately light up.

"Oh my. Yes, Mae right? Mae Sullivan?" she asks.

"That me," I chuckle lightly.

God I'm so nervous.

"Let me just let him know that you're here, then I'll show you the way," she smiles, before quickly making a phone call.

Who's him?

I watch as the lady finishes the call, then gestures for me to follow her. We make our way towards the elevator, and I watch as she types a code into the keypad, then presses the top floor.

Why the heck are we going to the top floor?

"Um, where exactly are we going?" I ask the lady.

"You'll see," she smiles softly.

Welp, now I'm very nervous.

After what feels like forever, we finally reach the top. The lady quickly gets off the elevator, and begins heading down the hallway. I speed up, eager to keep up with her. She slows down, then stops when we reach a set of tall doors, covered in beautiful and elaborate designs. Clearly these doors lead to somewhere important.

"He's waiting for you inside," is all the lady says before speeding off in the opposite direction.

I'm left by myself, unsure of whether I should go inside. What am I saying? Of course I'm going inside.

I push the doors open and am created with probably one of the most beautiful offices in the world.

Completely lined with glass walls, the transparency gives a beautiful view of the city. The office almost feels as if it is glowing, as the sun shining through the walls lights it up.

I slowly walk in, when I finally notice him, I'm in utter shock. This isn't just any office. This is Antonio Garcia's office.

"Ah, Mae! I'm glad you could make it. Please, take a seat," he says, gesturing to the seat across from him.

He sits at his desk with a quite friendly smile on his face, yet this man completely radiates power. Power, wealth, importance. Everything I am not.

"Uh, hi. I had no idea I would be meeting you for the interview," I say nervously, unsure of how to react to all of this.

"I know this must all be a bit confusing, but I promise it will all make sense soon," he says calmly, his voice immediately soothing my nerves.

"That's good to hear," I say, trying to gather all the courage I have.

"Well, I won't keep you waiting. The reason I brought you here is quite simple. I'm dying, and without an heir to my empire, I fear that all my hard work will be ruined," he explains, his voice not even fainting when he mentions how he's dying.

I'm not really sure what to say to that, so instead I stay quiet and let him talk.

"I fear that once I'm gone, the board will simply hand over the company to whatever wealthy man they can find, who I'm sure will have very little experience and will drive TTS international into the ground. I need the next CEO of this company to be someone who actually understands what to do. That's where you come in," he says, smiling at me.

What the hell is this guy saying?

"Excuse me?" I ask, completely shocked.

"Until my death, I would like you to shadow me, follow and watch my every move, so that one day when I die, which is guarantee is not far off, you will be able to manage the company."

I still don't think that I am truly hearing what is coming out of his mouth. Me? Run a company?

"Why me though? I mean, I'm practically fresh out of college, not even from here, plus I'm quite young with barely any real world experience," I admit.

"Yes, and that's the beauty of it. Your mind and way has not yet been corrupted by the evil way people run business nowadays. You're young, and truly able to connect and understand the new generations who will one day rule the world. Besides, I've already had a few other people attempt to shadow, but they just didn't work out. But who knows, you could be the one," he says, his voice booming with confidence.

"So, if I do succeed, and you, well- well you know, pass away, I just become the CEO?" I question trying not to trip over my words.

"You'll have help of course. But yes, pretty much," he shrugs.

"Why though? Why have a random young adult take over such a successful company, when you could practically choose anyone in the world to do it?"

"Because why not?" he smiles.

I can't help but smile too. I like this guy.

Okay, can we all just ignore the fact that this would literally never happen in real life. I mean, I wish it would. Anyways, I'm realizing now that this story is actually going to be a lot longer than I anticipated. I keep getting more and more ideas, so buckle up everyone because things are just getting started! I only anticipated for this story to be around forty chapters, but i have a feeling we'll make it to the fifties. We will see though. Next chapter is coming out on Sunday! (7/16/23)