Chapter Twenty-Five

Gavi's Perspective

"So what are the rules?" Mae asks excitedly.

"Rules? What do you mean by rules?"

I have to admit, I was absolutely shocked by Mae's reaction. I thought that she would be pissed at me for lying to her, but instead, here she was asking about rules.

"Ya, rules! I mean, I'm dating a famous footballer. There's gotta be some kind of rules or at least things I should know," she explains.

She's not wrong. As much as I don't want to hide our relationship from the public, I know that we need to. Relationships that are followed by the media somehow always end up ruined, and I would like to avoid that happening.

"Ya, i guess you're right," I mutter.

I look up to find her staring at me with wide eyes.

"What is it? You're scaring me," I tell her.

"Nothing. I was just waiting for you to tell me.

"Tell you what?"

"Are you serious?"

"Oh, right, the rules."

There's honestly not a lot to say. I rack my brain trying to think of what to tell her.

"First of all, we have to keep it a secret. If the public finds out, it won't be good," I state.

"Can I tell my friend Rosa?" she asks.

"As long as she doesn't tell anyone. I trust you, so if you trust her then that's fine."

"Okay, what else?"

"Secondly, you can only wear my jersey when you go to games," I smile.

I watch as she rolls her eyes.

"Nooo, please, don't make me do that," she says sarcastically.

"Wow, is that really such a terrible rule?" I ask, playing along.

"Mmmm maybe. Are there any other rules?"

"Not that I can think of."

She smiles, then checks her phone and frowns.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Just another job rejection. I've applied for several different jobs, and so far two of them have told me that they weren't interested in hiring me. Let's hope that the lost one gives me a chance. I'm not sure how much longer I can take being a waitress," she groans.

"I'm sorry. If you ever need help, just let me know," I reassure her.

She smiles and places a quick kiss on my cheek.

"Thank you. I should get going now. Can't be late for work, she say as she grabs her things.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"Uh, it's almost 8:00."

"Shit, I'm gonna be late for training."

I really can't be late, especially since Xavi has been on my back ever since the whole locker room incident.

"I'll let you get ready in peace," she smiles as she heads towards the door.

Before exiting, she turns around and says, "Thank you for telling me Gavi. I'm glad you did," then leaves, closing the door behind her.

As much as I want to think about how freaking amazing my girlfriend is, I have 15 minutes to get to training. I quickly throw on some clothes, grab a snack for the road and my keys, and rush out the door.