Chapter Forty-Nine

There's going to be a lot of switching between perspectives in this chapter so please just pay attention to that!

Mae's Perspective

I look hot. No, I don't think hot is the right word to describe how I look. Maybe sexy? Ya, i think sexy is a better description. When I told my stylist that I wanted red, I didn't expect this.

I'm currently standing in front of the mirror, admiring my dress while I wait for the driver. It's beautiful. It's a long red gown that's covered in sparkles, that's off the shoulder. It's tight, and hugs my body in all the right places. I'm wearing it paired with silver heels, and my hair is slicked back into a ponytail. My makeup is both simple yet absolutely stunning.

Although I look absolutely stunning, it's not enough to distract me from what is going to happen tonight. Yes the event is being held at some fancy event, and yes I'll get to eat expensive food and talk to important people all night, but that doesn't outweigh the fact that Gavi and the whole Barcelona team will be there.

Gavi, the guy who I was madly in love with, then broke up with after he practically cheated on me. The same Gavi who decided he wanted nothing to do with our child, and ignored the fact that he has a son. And the team that I grew quite close with, then completely ghosted after I broke up with Gavi.

This is going to be one awkward event.

Gavi's perspective

I'm nervous. Like really fucking nervous. I can only pray I don't run into Mae. I mean, I want to see her. I'm sure she's going to look amazing. It's just I have no idea what I'm supposed to say if i do run into her.

I mean, do I say sorry, or is it a bit too late for that? Do I just act like nothing happened and play it cool? I have no idea.

Pedri and I arrive at the venue together, and pose for a few photos before heading inside. We're clearly a bit on the earlier side, considering only 30 or so other people are here. Pedri and I spot a few of the other guys and head over to greet them.

It's funny how we all look the same, since we're all wearing black tuxedos. Jules is the only one with any sense of style. He's wearing a deep navy-blue suit that has some kind of padding in the shoulder or something, giving him a bulkier look. He's paired it with a white shirt underneath, and a cool looking tie. I don't understand fashion that much, but I can say his fit is fire.

For the next 10 minutes, we wander around, mingling with the people who come up to talk with us. This event isn't even for the players, yet everyone's watching us, whispering about us. I don't really know why.

I notice a sudden shift in the atmosphere, when everyone's eyes turn towards the entrance. I can hear the photographers and reporters shouting outside, and a group of people head towards the entrance to see what all of the commotion is about.

When she walks into the room, I literally forget how to breathe.

Mae's Perspective

The second I walk into the room, I spot him standing in the back with a few of his teammates. I only glance at him for a moment, but I can't help but admire how handsome he is.

I make my way through the room, finding Laporta. We greet each other and chat for a moment, before I get pulled aside for a few questions. As much as I hate answering questions, the lady who pulls me aside is young, and seems sweet, so I agree to answer a few of her questions.

"This all but be pretty exciting, right? What are your feelings about this new partnership?" the questioner asks.

"It's amazing. I think this will really benefit both TTS International and Barcelona. I'm very excited and can't wait for the future to come," I answer truthfully.

"That's good to hear. I must say you look absolutely stunning tonight! Are you here with anyone special?" she grins.

I can't help but think of Gavi. Is he here with anyone special?

"Unfortunately no," I respond awkwardly.

I mean, it's the truth. I haven't dated anyone since Gavi. Ya I've hooked up with a few guys, but none of it was meaningful, just sex.

I answer a few more questions before we part ways. I wander around the room aimlessly, trying my best to avoid small talk with random people.

I grab a drink and find an empty table, where I take a seat and hope that no one approaches me.

"Is this seat taken?" a voice asks.

I turn to find none other than Pedri.

"Oh uh no, you can have it."

He takes a seat and slowly takes a sip of his drink.

"So.....how are you?" he asks awkwardly.

"Um good I guess."

"Seems like you got a lot going on," he says, gesturing to our surroundings.

"Ya I do," I agree.

"This is going to sound weird but would you want to get lunch sometime? We could just catch up or something? It just feels weird talking here when we're being watched by so many eyes," he suggests.

Lunch with Pedri? This sounds like an awkward lunch. Yet I suppose it would be rude to decline his offer.

"Sure why not. Let me give you my number. Just text me when and where and I'll be there," I say as I type my number into his phone.

He excuses himself after someone comes up to him and I'm once again left alone with my thoughts. What the hell just happened?

Gavi's Perspective

"Were you just talking to Mae?" I ask Pedri if he walks over to me.

I had been looking for Pedri earlier when I had spotted him and a familiar woman in a stunning red dress.

"Maybe," he shrugs as he reaches past me for another drink.

"Well what were you talking about?" i question, curious to know if I had been mentioned in tehri conversation.

"I asked if she wanted to get lunch with me sometime."

What!" I exclaim, almost spitting out my drink.

"You asked her out?" I say quite loudly, attracting a few stares.

"No stupid. We're just getting lunch as two normal people. Besides, I'm doing this for you," he says.

"For me? What is that supposed to mean?"

"Oh don't play dumb. Even after all this time I can tell you still have feelings for her. I'm going to get all the details of her love life during lunch, to see if you still have a shot. You're welcome," he grins, patting me on the back.

Feelings for Mae? Do I really still have feelings for her? It's been three years since we split up, and I truly thought I was over it. Although I do have to admit, the moment she walked through that door, I felt something stirring inside me. A feeling I haven't felt in so long. Maybe Pedri is right.

Pedri notices my silence and just grins even more.

"I'm always right, Gavi," is all he says before leaving me to myself.

Is he always right?

I guess all I can do is wait and see how their little lunch goes, and hope that there isn't a special someone in Mae's life....

So maybe not the reunion you were hoping for, but I promise we are getting close! What did you guys think of this chapter? This one was on the longer side, considering the past few chapters have been a bit short. anyways, I hope you enjoyed! next chapter is coming out on Tuesday! (8/15/23)