Chapter Forty-Three

Mae's Perspective

It's causing problems. Lots of problems.

For the past week I have been bombarded and overwhelmed with so many different things. People waiting outside my work to get my statement, phone calls after phone calls asking if all of this is true, dm's and texts asking if I'll be open to an interview.

I just don't understand why these people care so fucking much. Like, it would be one thing if Gavi was an A-list celebrity, but he's not. He's a footballer. These people need to go get their own lives and stay the hell out of these.

All of this is really affecting my performance at work, and it's a huge problem. I've been so distracted with all of this, and haven't been as focused. I think that Antonio can that something is up.

"Mae, what's wrong? You haven't been yourself lately and it's starting to become an issue," he says sternly, clearly concerned.

I figure it's best to just tell him everything, so I go on to explain what is happening.

"That does sound like a problem, especially with how close we are getting to you taking over," he murmurs, lost in his thoughts for a moment.

"I just don't know what to do about this. I mean, I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon, and if I'm being honest, I'm not sure how much longer I can take all of this," I sigh.

"Maybe it would be best if you just break up with him."

"What?" I ask, startled by his solution.

"Break up with him. I'm pretty sure that would stop all of this," he explains.

Break up with Gavi? I could never do that.

"I can't do that. I love him too much to do that," I admit.

"Hmmm, well if you don't want to break up with him, why not just take a break? That's what you kids call it, right?"

Maybe that's a good idea. As much as I fucking love Gavi want to be with him, for once I need to put my career first. I'm not going to let my opportunity of becoming a CEO get destroyed because of all of this.

"I think you're right," I agree with him.

"Just tell me once you've done it," he says before leaving the room.

Shit.

How the hell am I supposed to tell Gavi this?

"We need to talk."

The second I sent him that text, my heart immediately started to ache.

I need to calm down. I mean, it's not like I'm ending things. He'll be in the USA, and I'll be here. We'll still be communicating and stuff. In fact, we're practically still going to be dating.

"Hey, what's up?" Gavi asks as he walks up to his apartment.

I had been waiting there for about twenty minutes, absolutely dreading when he would get there.

"We need to talk," I say blankly.

"I know, that's what you said in you're text. What do we need to talk about?" Gavi chuckles nervously.

When I don't say anything, the smile on his face completely drops.

"Shit Mae, you're making me nervous. What is it?"

I muster up all the courage I have left, and spit it out.

"Look, ever since those photos came out, everything has just been hella chaotic. It's becoming a serious problem. I mean, I thought it would just go away, but it hasn't. It's affecting my work life, and that is something that can't happen. I have an amazing opportunity, and I can't screw this up and I think-"

"Are you breaking up with me?" Gavi says, his voice filled with pain.

"No. No, I'm not breaking up with you, I promise. I just think we need to take a little break, or just create some space between us for now. You're going to the USA, and I'll be here so, you know," I explain, fumbling over my words as my heart dies a little.

"What does that even mean? Taking a break?" he asks.

I can tell he's trying to keep it together, as am I. this is killing the both of us and I fucking hate myself for doing this, but it's the right thing.

"We'd still be together, but we'd just be focusing on ourselves. I'm getting closer to being CEO, and I really need to focus on that. I can't have all of this drama in my life. I think the same goes for you," I admit.

"So we'd still be together?"

"Yes."

"Good, cause there's no way you're getting rid of me that easily," Gavi tries to joke, but instead the tears start to fill his eyes.

"Shit Gavi, I'm so sorry," I whisper as I pull him in for a hug.

He wraps his arms tightly around, and I do the same, never wanting to let go. I feel so god damn safe in his arms, and I hate how all of this is unraveling.

"I'm still yours, okay?" he mutters in my ear.

"As am I," I smile, before letting go.

"When are you leaving?" I ask.

"A week. Can I call you tonight?"

"Yes. Call, text, that's fine. But I think it would be best to avoid being in public for the time being, oaky?"

He nods his head, then opens the door to his apartment.

Before he enters, he turns to me and says, "I'm sorry Mae."

"Ya me too," I murmur as he closes the door.

I'm very sorry for doing that, but before you come at me, I would just like to say one thing. It's only going to get worse. Next chapter is coming out on Friday. (7/28/23)

Please be prepared.