Chapter Twenty-Nine

Mae's Perspective

I'm confused. Very, very confused.

Ever since I arrived here in Barcelona, I've applied for at least 20 different full-time jobs. All 20 of them rejected my application. Yet here I was, reading over an email sent from Real Madrid.

And when I say Real Madrid, I mean Real Madrid the football club. They emailed me. I have no idea how they got my information, or how they knew I was looking for a job, but they sent me an offer.

You're probably thinking 'Oh, and offer for an interview, right?" Wrong. An offer for a job, at the club, working in a position that would consist of both finance and business.

I read over the email at least twenty times before I'm actually able to fully comprehend what the hell is going on.

I decide that there has to be some kind of reasonable explanation for this, so I call the one person I know who would be crazy enough to send in a job application for me.

"Rosa, I know that I haven't chipped in as much when it comes to our living situation, and I know I've been distant, but did you really have to send in a job application for me to work at Real Madrid?" I exclaim over the phone, demanding an answer.

"What-"

"I mean, have I really made you so mad that you want me to work somewhere that's like six hours away. Honestly, I'm a bit hurt Rosa."

"Mae, what the hell are you talking about?"

"There's no need to play dumb. Just tell me the truth," I beg.

"Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about," she insists.

"So, you didn't send a job application for me to Real Madrid?"

"Nope."

"Oh."

"Wait, did Real Madrid ask you to come in for an interview?" she asks, finally piercing it all together.

"Not exactly...."

"Girl, then why are you getting so worked up about this?"

"They offered me a job," I blurt out.

"WAIT WHAT!!! YOU GOT A JOB!" she screams over the phone.

Rosa understands how much I've been struggling with finding a job, but I also think she doesn't quite understand what this means.

"I mean, ya, but I don't know how I got it. Besides, I'm not planning on leaving Barcelona anytime soon," I admit.

Although it would be nice to finally have a stable, full-time job, I'm not about to move to Madrid. Especially when both Gavi and Rosa are here, who are pretty much the only two important people in my life at the moment.

"Wait, so you're not taking the offer?" she asks, very confused.

"Nah, I'll probably just keep looking for a job that's actually here in Barcelona."

"Welp, whatever makes you happy! I got to go now," she says before hanging up the phone.

After she hangs up, I shut my phone off, and pause to think for a moment.

None of this makes sense. First of all, how would Real Madrid know that I'm looking for a job? The only two people who know about my whole job situation are Rosa and Gavi, and Rosa clearly didn't do anything, and I highly doubt Gavi did.

Secondly, why the hell would they even offer me a job. I'm fresh out of college, with very limited experience. Why offer someone like me a job at one of the biggest clubs in the world? There's got to be someone behind all of this, but I just don't know who.