Chapter Fifty

Mae's Perspective

"So, how have you been?" Pedri asks, breaking the awkward silence.

Only 20 minutes in and this lunch is already extremely awkward. I would much rather be with Milo, who's currently at home being watched by a babysitter.

"Um, pretty good I guess. Being a CEO is a lot, but it's a dream come true," I smile.

"How about you?" I also ask.

"I'm good actually. I've just been really focusing on football and I think it's paid off," he says.

"Ya I agree. You've been on fire this season," I admit.

"So you've seen all our games this season?"

"Ya, obviously. In case you forgot I'm kind of a die hard Barca fan," I point out.

"Gavi's really improved, don't you think?" he blurts out.

Yup. I was expecting him to bring up Gavi some time. They are best friends.

"He has," I say awkwardly.

I mean, what else am I supposed to say?

Pedri just smiles and nods his head, and we once again are greeted by awkward silence. Thankfully the waiter brings out our food, and both of us focus on eating our food. Once we pay the check, we begin to walk out of the restaurant when all of a sudden it begins to pour.

Barcelona is generally a pretty sunny city, and we generally only get rain during March, April, October, and now, November.

"Well, I wasn't expecting that. I actually walked here so I got to walk home," Pedri groans, sticking his hand out the restaurant door and into the rain.

Oof, that does not sound fun. I guess I could....

"I could give you a ride home. Wouldn't want you getting sick before your game this weekend, right?" I offer.

"Wait really? That would be amazing. Thanks Mae-"

He's cut off by the loud ringing of my phone. I look to see who it is and it is Clara, the girl who is watching Milo.

"Sorry, would you mind if I take this real quick. You can go wait in the car. It should be unlocked," I say, pointing to my car right outside the restaurant.

"Okay take your time," Pedri says before running out into the rain and towards my car.

I quickly answer my phone, hoping that everything is going fine.

"Hi Clara! How's everything going?"

"Mae, I'm so sorry. I'm in an ambulance right now. Milo's all alone right now, so you need to get back home," Clara croaks, her voice sounding quiet and distant.

"Oh my god what happened? Are you okay?" I ask, immediately worried.

"The medic said I'm having a severe allergic reaction and they're taking me to the hospital. I'm so sorry."

"Hey it's okay. Is Milo sleeping right now?" I ask, looking at my watch to see that this would be Milo's nap time.

"Yes, but he's all alone. I didn't know what to do."

"I'm about to head home so it's fine. Just get better okay. Bye now," I tell her before quickly hanging up my phone and rushing to the car.

I need to get home before Milo wakes up. Having a toddler running around the house all alone is the last thing a toddler should be doing.

I get into the car and immediately begin to drive.

"Would you mind if I stop by my house before I drop you off? I just need to pick someone up," I ask Pedri.