Chapter Fifty-Four

Mae's Perspective

What?

Would I like to go on a date with Gavi?

I'm immediately shocked by his words, yet for some reason I know the answer deep down. Of course I'm still hesitant.

"A date? Is that really a good idea?"

"Of course it is. You know that I'm right when I say we still have a connection. And I think that it's only fair to Milo, and ourselves that we try again," he admits.

He's right. He's so goddamn right.

"Okay," I whisper, meeting his eyes.

"Okay?" he smiles.

"Yes, I accept your date invite," I grin.

"Now are you ready to meet your son? He's probably waiting," I say as I make my way to the door.

Before I can exit the bedroom, I feel Gavi softly grab my hand, causing me to turn my head. I find him staring at me, his eyes full of warmth and happiness.

"Thank you Mae," he smiles.

"For what?"

"Just for everything," is all he says before letting go of my hand.

Although he hasn't said much, his words still seem to find a way to set off the butterflies in my stomach. I smile, then grab his hand, holding it in my own. He doesn't react; instead he simply allows me to guide him out of the bedroom. We find Milo too distracted by the television to even notice us.

"Milo," I murmur softly, eager to see his reaction.

"Mama I promise I finished my-"

He's midway through his sentence when he turns his head to see who Im with.

"Hi Milo," Gavi grins, clearly amused by Milo's shocked face.

"Mama, am I crazy? Is Gavi in our house?" he asks, unable to move.

I pull Gavi along with me as I make my way to the couch. Gavi and I take a seat on the ottoman as Milo watches in awe from the couch.

"Yes, he is. You're not crazy," I laugh, unable to get over how absolutely adorable he looks.

"Why is he here?" he whispers to me as he stares Gavi down.

"Well, I promised you would get to meet your dad so-"

"HE'S MY DADA??" Milo yells as he jumps up.

Yup. That was the exact reaction that I was expecting.

I nodded, tears welling up in my eyes. "Yes, sweetheart. He's your dada. And he loves you more than anything in the world."

His little face transformed, a mixture of awe, surprise, and joy washing over him. It was as if a spark of understanding ignited within him, connecting the dots in his mind. His eyes grew wide, and a smile spread across his face, revealing the purest happiness I had ever seen.

"DADA!" he exclaimed, launching himself into his father's waiting arms.

The two of them embrace, my heart swelling with an overwhelming sense of love and completion. At that moment, our little family becomes a whole. As I watch the bond between father and son strengthen before my eyes, I can't help but feel an incredible sense of joy, knowing that although I struggled the past years, it was all worth it.

"So you're really my dada?" Milo asks, staring up at Gavi as he sits in his lap.

"I am. Is that okay?" Gavi questions, clearly hoping there's no resentment.

"It's more than okay! It's amazing," Milo exclaims as he gives Gavi another big hug.

As Milo embraces him, Gavi meets my eyes, and mouths the words "thank you". It makes me feel good that Gavi truly cares about Milo, even though he wasn't there for such an important part of his life.

"Mama, can we please go to the park. I want to play football with dada," Milo asks as he gives me his cute eyes. He knows I can't say no to his cute eyes, as he calls them.

"Is that okay with you? Or are you busy?" I turn to Gavi, secretly hoping he isn't busy so that we can spend more time together. I forgot how good it makes me feel just being with him.

"I'm free for the rest of the day," he says to me before turning to Milo.

"You'll have to show me your football skills Milo."

"Well, I'm not as good as you, but I'm pretty good actually," Milo explains, his cute face focused as he puts his sentence together.

"Sounds like a plan. I'll send you directions and we'll meet you there, oaky? I just need to get Milo and I ready. We'll be there in like thirty minutes, since the park is only a 10 minute drive. "

"Okay. Do you need any help?"

"Uh, I think I'm good. If you want you could get me an iced coffee from the coffee shop down the road," I smile.

"Is your order still the same?"

"It is actually. Do you remember it?"

"I never forgot it. I'll see you there," he says, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek before heading out.

Thirty minutes later Milo and I are walking into the park, on the lookout for Gavi. I'm dressed in a simple sweatshirt and jeans, the cool autumn temperature allowing me to dress comfortably. I spot Gavi sitting on the bench, now wearing a hat and glasses to hide his face. Oh how this brings back the memories.

Gavi spots us and quickly heads over, an iced coffee in one hang and two small bags in the other.

"Here is your coffee Mae," he says as he hands me my drink.

"Thank you," I smile.

"Of course. Milo, this is for you," he grins as he hands Milo one of the bags.

Milo reaches in and pulls out a delicious looking chocolate croissant.

"A chocolate croissant! These are my favorite! How did you know?" Milo gasps, his voice filled with excitement.

"I had a hunch," Gavi chuckles as he hands me the other bag. Inside I find another chocolate croissant. Of course he remembers. Of course he remembers I love chocolate croissants more than anything in the world.

Milo quickly finishes his croissants, then immediately grabs his football and brings Gavi to the grass with him. I watch as the two of them pass the ball back and forth, both of them absolutely thrilled to be playing with each other.

My heart aches as I watch them, knowing this is the kind of family I've always dreamed of having. One that's close is willing to spend time together, have fun together.

When I received the text from who I thought was Gavi all those years ago, those dreams were shattered. But now... Now those dreams have a chance of becoming a reality.

So......what did you think? Honest opinions, okay? This chapter took me a while to write. One more chapter guys🥲Next chapter is coming out Wednesday! (8/30/23)