Chapter Twelve

Gavi's Perspective

I knew that Mae was coming to the game, but I didn't expect her to be sitting so close. Like, front-row seats close.

As I entered the stadium, I couldn't help but recognize her familiar voice, screaming out in excitement. The fact that she is here just makes me want to win even more. I need to score.

As we line up and get into position, I can feel the energy pumping through my veins. We're playing Elche, so this should be a game where I play well and hopefully score.

The ref blew his whistle, and the game began. Right off the bat we won the ball and started to it around, maintaining possession and moving forward. Raphinha dribbles the ball towards the 18-yard box and takes a shot, but the defender deflects it, earning us a corning.

Araujo takes it, sending it to the back post. Fati wins the ball and passes it to me. I'm at the top of the box with not much pressure, so I decide to have one and take a shoot. My shot goes to the top corner, but the goalie is able to deflect it over the top post, leading us to another corner.

After what feels like a very short amount of time, the ref blows his whistle for half-time. We're up 2-0 thanks to Fati and Pablo Torre.

As we head towards the locker rooms for half-time, I glance up at Mae before entering the tunnel. She seems to be talking very passionately about something to her friends, who looks very confused. I can't help but smile.

After a pep talk from Xavi in the locker room, we head back out to the field for the second half. I've played decent so far, but I know I can do better. I need to do better.

The game starts, and we immediately get a chance. Araujo wins the ball and plays it forward to me. I dribble forward and have a 1v1 against a defender. I do a quick fake and take the ball it in the opposite direction toward the right post. I don't have a good angle, so I cross the ball toward Pedri, who taps it in. Goal!!!!!

We all run over to him to congratulate him, then start to hype up the fans. One thing Barcelona will always have is passionate fans. They immediately start to yell and cheer, thrilled that we are up 3-0.

I know that with a lead like this, Xavi may sub me out, so I need to score before that.

Another chance is upon us when Kounde boots the ball to Torres, who then dribbles it into the middle, leaving a large unoccupied space to his right. As he dribbles forward, he draws the defenders in, and I see the opportunity.  I overlap him and run into the space. He plays me the ball and I'm through.

It's a 1v1 with the goalie. There isn't any angle to shoot it, so instead, I chip it over him. This catches him off guard, and he is unable to do anything once it is over him and rolling into the goal. Goal!!!!!

The crowd goes wild, and I run to the corner flag as i kiss the badge on my jersey. My teammates come sprinting over to me, and we all celebrate the goal together.

 My teammates come sprinting over to me, and we all celebrate the goal together

As suspected, Xavi subs me off after. Everyone claps as I exit the field and head toward the bench. Xavi congratulates me as I take a seat.

Finally, after about ten minutes, the game is over. We celebrate our victory, and shake hands with the other team, before heading towards the stands to celebrate our victory with the fans.

I watch as a few of my teammates give their jerseys to eager fans. And that's when I get a genius idea. I pull my jersey off and head over to where Mae is seated. A few fans notice what I'm aiming to do, and immediately start yelling my name and reaching for the jersey.

Sorry, but it's not for you. I point to Mae, which completely catches not only her, but the fans surrounding her off guard. I hand the jersey to her, and can't help but smirk at the completely shocked look and her face.

"Thank you!" she exclaims, her face now lit with excitement.

I nod my head, then run into the tunnel before she or anyone else gets suspicious.

"I saw that," Pedri says as he pulls me in.

"Saw what?" I ask innocently.

"Oh don't play dumb."

"I gave my jersey to her, big deal," I shrug.

"Trying to tell that to all the gossip articles that are gonna be posted tomorrow."

"I always give my jersey to people. How is it any different this time?"

"Well, first of all, she's a girl. Second of all, she looks your age. Third of all, you pointed at her, instead of just giving it to some random person who reached for it. And plus, did you smile when you gave it to her?"

Uh oh. He might be right.

"Maybe...."

"Then lastly, you never smile when you give people your jersey. You always look all miserable."

Ok, he is definitely right.

"Even if you are right, it isn't a big deal. I'll just deny the rumors," I say with as much neutrality as possible.

"Just be careful when you go on your date with her, ok? You know that now everyone won't just be watching you, but they'll watch her too," he points out before walking away.

He's completely right. I need to make sure that I am completely unrecognizable tomorrow. Otherwise, I know for a fact that there will be a lot of unnecessary problems for not just me, but for Mae too.

Last chapter of the month! Sorry this chapter was a bit shorter. I originally wrote it with Lewandowski scoring two goals, but then I remembered what I wrote in one of the past chapters. Remember this takes place in the year 2028 so he would be about 39, which is old in the soccer world. Also, sorry if the parts where I'm describing what is happening on the field don't really make sense. I play football (soccer for me cause I am American) so I know what I'm talking about, it's just a lot harder to write than do in real life. Next chapter is coming out Tuesday! (5/2/23)