Chapter Twenty-Four

Mae's Perspective

"You lied to me." I mumble as I push past him into his apartment.

"What?" he asks as he closes the door.

"You lied to me!" I repeat, this time much louder.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh don't play dumb Gavi. You freaking lied to me about where you work. Why would you lie to me about where you work?" I demand.

At this point, I'm angry. Not just angry, but also hurt. Hurt that he lied to me, and now is trying to act like he didn't.

"Shit," he mutters under his breath.

"Ya, shit is right. I mean what the hell!" I exclaim.

"Look Mae, I can explain myself."

"Okay then. Do it. Explain yourself," I say, taking a seat on the couch, waiting for an answer.

"Mae...."

"Well? I'm waiting," I demand.

Why won't he just tell me?

"I can't," is all he says.

This is unbelievable.

"And why the hell not?"

"Because."

"Because why Gavi?" I cry, desperate.

"Because then you'll know who I am!" he shouts.

I'm taken aback by his words, unsure of what he meant.

"What do you mean by that?"

I watch as he slowly walks over to the other side of the coach and takes a seat. He lets out a deep sigh.

"Mae, the truth is, there's a lot of stuff you don't know. And it's stuff that I don't want to tell you, only because I'm scared that it will ruin everything in this relationship that we have built together. I don't want that, you know? What we have is special, and I really don't want to ruin that," he admits.

Damn. That was a lot. I don't know why, but his words just do something to me. They ignite a feeling that I don't feel around other people. I guess I need to go deep too. I get up from where I am seated and take a seat right next to him.

"Gavi, telling me whatever you think will ruin our relationship will not ruin it. That I can promise. Instead, it'll just make us stronger. And shit, I think I might fucking love you, cause every second with you, I feel like Im on fire. In a good way of course," I confess.

I suddenly realize what I just said. I look up at him, waiting, waiting for him to say something.

"Do you really mean that?" he whispers.

"Mean what?"

He hesitates for a moment, then says, "That you love me. Do you really mean that?"

"Yes," I say immediately.

I didn't even have to think about it. The words just flew out of my mouth.

More silence.

"I see that you're wearing the shirt that i gave you," is what comes out of his mouth next.

His words confuse me, and I look down to see what shirt I'm wearing. It's the jersey that Gavi the Barcelona player gave to me-

Holy shit.

"Look, I wanted to tell you...."

I look up to see him taking his sunglasses off. Who am I greeted with? Gavi. THE GAVI. As in, Barcelona player Gavi, number 6 Gavi, once of the best players in the world right now Gavi.

"Oh my god," I say blatantly, unable to express much emotion from the amount of shock that I just experienced.

"I talked with Pedri this morning and I promise I was planning on telling you at dinner tonight. I'm sorry I hid who i really was from you, but I had my reasons," he explains.

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe that I was this stupid!" I exclaim, jumping up from my seat.

Gavi watches me in confusion as I start to pace around the room.

"Uh, what do you mean?"

"I mean, did I really think it was just some crazy coincidence that THE Pedri is friends with two different Gavi's? And you always being out of town when Barcelona had away games and how you never would go and watch the home games with me? Did I really think that it was also some coincidence? You would literally playing in them! How am I this stupid?"

"What? So, you're not mad?" he asks.

"Mad? Why would I be mad?"

"Well, I lied to you about who I was. Doesn't that make you mad?"

"Look, I get why you would lie. But it's not like the moments we shared together were a lie. Those were real, and that's what's important," I assure him.

I have to admit, all of this is just crazy. I've been dating a famous footballer this whole time, and have no idea. Although I feel a bit stupid for not figuring it out, I'm just glad he told me.

"You really mean that?" he asks, still unsure.

"Of course I do! Why would I lie about that? I'm serious when I say I love you," I smile, pulling him in for a hug.

He wraps his arms around me and hugs me tightly. His body is warm, and makes me feel safe.

"I love you too," he whispers into my ear.

"Good, because if you didn't, I think that we would have a bit of a problem," I joke, causing him to smile.

I love when he smiles.

"Are we still going out for dinner tonight?" I ask, remembering how we had planned to go out on a date tonight.

"Mmmm, I have other plans," he smiles mischievously as he leans in to kiss me.

OMG!!!!! IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry guys that was such a short chapter but I wanted this chapter to just be the reveal! What did you guys think? I hope you liked it! Wasn't the jersey part funny?! :) Anyways, next chapter is coming out on Thursday! (6/1/23)