Breakfast With the Family (1)

My family and I walk into the dining room together. The palace workers must have moved everything while we were visiting with our families. They moved out the single, long dining table in exchange for sixteen round tables, one for each of the selected plus the royal family.
As we walked through the doors, a butler showed us to our table, which had a table card with our last name on it. Our table was next to Prince Rhode's table and Brighton's table... And Cordelia's table.
I sat down on the far side of the table from the Royal family's table. Brighton was seated directly behind me. Since the dining room is not fit for around sixty people, the tables were sort of squished together. I could practically touch Brighton's hand.
I look to my right and see Cordelia's table, which is oddly crowded because of the number of people there. They all look serious. I never knew Cordelia had that many people in her family. They all seem to be around her father's age, except for one other boy around Cordelia's age who holds her hand the whole time. I'm slightly jealous of how close Cordelia is with her brother.
I look back to the royal family and see that I have a clear view of Rhode and he is trying to get my attention while making it look discreet. I chuckle a little and then look back to my family.
My dad speaks up first. "Who is that?" He asks, pointing to Cordelia's family.
"That's Cordelia." I say. "She's... Different than what I'm used to." I answer, not wanting my dad to know I've already made an enemy.
My dad sees how squished they are. "We should invite them to connect our tables. We have enough room to seat them comfortably." He says. I stare, wide eyed with shock. I don't say anything back, because I know it's useless. My dad is always so kind.
He gets up and a guard immediately rushed over to us. "Is there a problem, sir?" He asks.
"Not at all. But thank you for keeping Illéa safe." My dad responds, putting on his charm.
The guard looks pleased and walks away. My dad turns back to me and winks. He proceeds to walk over to Cordelia's table and shakes hands with her father. "Hello, Mr..." He trails off, waiting for Cordelia's Dad to provide information.
"Hail. Ether Hail." He says.
"Mr. Hail, I see that you have lots of family and your table seems to be squished. Since we have lots of space, I was wondering if you would like to join tables to make your family more comfortable." My father says. Ether states at him with a sharp gaze.
Finally he agrees. My father smiles a triumphant smile and starts pushing the table. The guard from before comes over and says. "No, no. You're a guest. Let me take care of that for you." My dad smiles backs me, almost as if saying, 'this is what happens when you're nice to people'.
After the guard pushes the tables together, we all sit down again. Umben on my left... And Cordelia on my right.
Cordelia shoots me a nasty look as if to say, 'This is all your fault.'
Doesn't she know I don't want to sit next to her either?

Dear readers,
Sorry for the short and horrible chapter. I haven't had very much time to work on it and I wanted to at least get a short update out before the weekend. Definitely a long update coming in the weekend! Hope you're all having a good day! Oh, and if you're looking for a good Selection book, you should check out The First Selection by @Day_Dreamer72 and if you're looking for a good original story you should try The Bestowing by FreckleFacedFiction or Before I Go by yabookaddiction
Plus, you should check out my Instagram account: KatnissMellark___ (three underscores) right now it's being ran mostly by yabookaddiction but soon I'll be helping out.
Love us long time,
KatnissMellark_