Singing Competition

Rhode's whole demeanor turns ice cold. "What do you mean, 'she was taken?'" He says slowly into the walky talky.
The guard's voice comes out shaky over the walky talky. "I... We saw... A man. And a teenager, it seemed take her. We couldn't get to her in time, sir." He finishes.
"Don't 'sir' me." Rhode growls. "How could this happen?"
"Sir-" he pauses. "Your Majesty. I think we should talk about this later when less can be overheard."
Rhode pauses, considering his options. "I guess it would be best. Goodbye." There's a faint response and we hear him click off.
"I can't believe this." Rhode breathes out.
"Oh, Rhode, it's not your fault." I say, scooting closer to him.
He slightly turns away from me. "No, it is. And I'll never be fit to be King. Even you said so, calling me a coward. I'll never be able to make the tough choices. I feel bad for my country. I'll just always let them down." A small cascade of tears run down his face and I can't help but stare in awe. I've never seen any royal cry...
"No, listen to me." I say, lightly turning his face so that he's looking into my eyes. "You will be an amazing King. You're not a coward. It takes somebody truly brave to open up the way you did."
It's silent for a while, the only sounds being able to be heard being our breathing and Lachlan's. "Thank you." Rhode says. "For everything." My memory goes back to when I said those words after Rhode brought my family to the palace to see me.
A faint smile goes to my lips and Rhode looks down at them. Then he slowly leans in, almost as if he's afraid that he's doing the wrong thing. I meet him halfway and savor the familiar feeling of kissing him.
I forget about Lachlan even being in the same room. Well, that is until he lightly clears his throat and we pull away, embarrassed. I wipe away one of his tear stains, lightly laughing at the whole situation. "My life's a mess." I chuckle.
"Not mine. As long as you're in it... Dear." He adds the last part in more as a question, testing out the sound of the name.
I roll my eyes, both at his words and the name. But a smile is still on my face.
Lachlan clears his throat again and I finally turn my attention towards him. "Oh, I'm sorry, Lachlan. Are you feeling left out? Do you want me to kiss you, too?" I joke.
Rhode quickly says, "no!" At the exact same time I say, "kidding."
Lachlan laughs a little. There's something... off about him. His laugh seems forced. "It's a little awkward when your two friends kiss right in front of you, that's all." He explains.
"I know what'll make you feel better." I say and Rhode's eyes flash to me, wondering what I will say next. "A singing competition."
Lachlan laughs and shakes his head yes as Rhode's eyes grow to the size of saucers. "Nooooo." He complains. "I can't sing."
"Neither can I!" Lachlan and I say at the same time and laugh together.
"Fine." Rhode grumbles, but he's still grinning, clearly amused.
Lachlan decides that he wants to go first and boy, does he bring the sass. I've never seen anybody have as much fun as he was having in his moment.
He got up in front of Rhode and I, pretending to talk into a microphone. "Hello I am Prince Lachlan Power of Australia and today I will be singing the classic song," he pauses for dramatic effect. "I Kissed a Girl by Katy Perry." He quickly says and Rhode and I laugh. This is an old song back from when Illéa was still the United States of America. Lachlan quickly shushes us and begins his song.
Two lines into the song, he starts getting more into it. He starts dancing to his singing and his dance moves, let me tell you, are not the best. But they are pretty funny.
Near the end of the song, Lachlan is jamming out. His dance moves are over the top. For the end of the performance, Lachlan rips off his shirt and I let out the laugh I was holding in, along with Rhode. Tears are threatening to stream down my face from laughing so much.
Lachlan walks back over to us and holds out his hand to help Rhode up to the 'performing area' "Blow us away, Rhodie"
Lachlan sits down and he lets out a little yawn. "What time is it?" He whispers.
"I don't know, but it seems late." I whisper back as Rhode takes the 'stage'.
"Hello, my name is Prince Rhode Schreave of Illéa" he starts, copying Lachlans's introduction and winks at him. "and I will be singing another classic, Hero by Enrique Iglesias."
He pretends to warm up and then says, "I would like to dedicate this song to the most beautiful and wonderful person I've ever met." He says, staring right at me. "Myself" he jokes and Lachlan and I laugh lightly, slightly tired.
Rhode starts his song very shaky, but as the song goes on, his voice becomes stronger. He's not the best singer I've ever heard. In fact, he isn't even a good singer, but he is putting himself out there and I appreciate it. I smile throughout his entire performance and I clap very loudly at the end.
He walks over to Lachlan and I. "Your turn, Princess." He winks.
I get up and sigh. I copy both of their introductions, saying, "Hello, I'm just Caspian Beckers of... Illéa. And I'll be singing..." I pause. I really should've though of this before getting up here. An idea quickly pops into my head. "I'll be singing an old song from Waverly."
My soft voice echoes through the safe room as I sing the song my father used to sing to me at night. He says that his mother used to sang it to him when he had bad dream and her mother sang it to her. The song goes way back in my family.
When I'm finished, I really look at Lachlan and Rhode to see Lachlan asleep and Rhode just staring at me in awe. "Caspian..." He says and I go and sit next to him. "That was beautiful."
I can see his eyelids droop and I tell him to rest his head in my lap and he does so.
I gently play with his hair as he closed his eyes. "Thanks again, Cass. For making me... Complete again."
"No, I didn't do that."
"Yes you did." He says and opens his eyes, trying to sit up. "Caspian, I-"
"Shhh" I cut him off, slowly lowering him back down. "Tomorrow."
"But seriously, Caspian-"
"Close your eyes." I whisper into his ear. He sighs and does as I say. "You need to go to sleep. Being a Prince is tough work, especially with eleven scared girls waiting for you tomorrow with the absence of Cordelia."
He waits a minute, clearly thinking, even with his eyes closed. "Twelve." He corrects. "Eleven in the big safe room and you. I even subtracted Cordelia."
"I'm not scared." I whisper. "I have you."
"And I, you." He whispers.
We stay there, him with his head in my lap and I sitting until I think that he's asleep.
"Night, Rhode." I say, kissing his forehead and I swear I see his lips twitch into a small smile.