Breakfast With the Family (2)

Cordelia was sitting next to her brother who I saw holding her hand earlier. Her dad was sitting next to my dad.
There was a bit of an awkward silence as I just look straight in front of me, looking at Rhode without even meaning to, my gaze focused on his golden hair.
I don't notice Rhode giving me a confused look until Umben on my left nudges me and starts giggling like a tiny girl version of himself. "He's staring at you!" He whispers.
I look at Rhode, right in his light green eyes. They're bright with amusement. I give a little apologetic smile and turn my attention back to the conversation at my table.
"So what's your job?" My dad asks Mr. Hail.
"I'm the CEO of a major company that I do not wish to name." Ether boasts. "And you?"
"Oh..." My father trails off. "I work in a snack pack factory and I also have a small garden where I grow flowers to sell to people."
Ether stares and him, opens his mouth, then closed it, as if he decided that my father wasn't his time. Just then the breakfast is served, a bowl of mixed fruit and some pancakes.
I go to pick up the silverware as Cordelia brags to her brother about getting to meet the Prince of Australia, Lachlan Power, in two days. That's when our royal party that we planned with Brighton will take place.
I'm super confused on which fork to use, as always. They've set out four forks, just for breakfast. Who does that?!?
I'm internally panicking as I look around the room, trying to find someone who knows that they're doing. Quickly I spot Rhode looking my way. He must think I'm an idiot today, first I stare at his hair and then I am panicking with four forks clutched in my hand.
I try to ask for help only using my eyes. He just chuckles. I try holding up only the first fork. He shakes his head no. I hold up the second fork. He shakes his head no again, a smile growing on his face. I hold up the third fork and this time I can see him try to hold in a laugh. Finally I hold up the last fork and he nods his head while trying not to laugh out loud. He receives strange looks from his family, but he just shrugs it off and goes back to eating with a smile still plastered on his face.
I see Amphora pick up the fork that I held up first and I whisper, "no. I already tried that. Use the fourth fork." She just sighs and picks up the fourth fork and dives into her pancakes.
"This. Is. So. Good!" She exclaims.
"Yeah!" Umben pipes in. I notice that he is using the wrong fork, but I don't even bother trying to correct him.
Out of the corner of my eye I see Cordelia roll her eyes and expertly picks up the right fork to use.
She leans in and whispers, "You're family is a bunch of idiots, Cass." She practically hisses the nickname that some people call me.
"You're family seems like the life of a party!" I respond back sarcastically, motioning to her dad, her brother, and they rest of her relatives who have not even spoken a word since my dad spoke last.
Cordelia just sends me a cold glare before going back to her breakfast. There's an awkward silence between the two tables as we're eating. I know that neither of our families like the other. The only person actually smiling is Cordelia's brother.
My dad clears his throat. "So... Mr. Hail. Where did-" he's cut off by a loud siren.
My head snaps up and I look directly at Rhode, just in time to see him mouth a word that probably isn't appropriate for all the families here today. He quickly stands up and announces, "Everybody, please follow a guard who will be at your table shortly. We are going to go to the safe room just across the hall."
Through his calm demeanor, I can tell that he is internally panicking. And honestly, I would be too. He invites all the rest of the selected's families for a simple breakfast and there is an attack. He immediately walks through the doors with the rest of his family to go to the safe room, but not before grabbing a piece of toast. I let out a giggle, but it comes out strained and forced.
I easily pick up Umben, since I don't want to be separated from him and he doesn't weigh a lot. I grasp Amphora's hand with my free hand and check to make sure my dad is behind me before briskly walking out and to the safe room.
Once inside, I immediately rush to a corner, wanting to soothe down Umben, who looks like he is about to break down sobbing any second. We sit on the floor.
"Umben... Ben... Look at me." I say, trying to get him to look at me. He slowly looks me into the eye and I say, "It's gonna be all right. They know how to fix this. We're all safe. Trust me."
I remember the last time I was in a safe room. Rhode and I were lost and we only had time to make it to a smaller safe room, one which I doubted would be able to save us. He was trying to comfort me and I was crying for my family. Now here I am, comforting my family.
I hear a piercing scream and I quickly look away from Umben to whoever was screaming.
I look over to see Cordelia screaming at one of the guards stationed near the safe room door. "My brother! My dad! You need to get them! I don't know where they're at! I lost them!"
The guard takes her arm to pull her away from the quickly closing safe room door and Cordelia starts screaming at him again. The guard tries to quiet her, but she screams on, "They're dead! They're dead and it's all your fault! I hate you! I hate this place! I just want to go home!"
Rhode hears the commotion and rushes over to her. I hear him whisper to her, probably telling her to shut up cause some people are trying to sleep. At least that's what I would say. I mean, her brother and dad are probably dead, but right now I just don't care.
She nods and together they walk to the corner of the room and sit on a bed.
King Branson stands up, "Everything will be fine. We have it all under control."
After that, everybody goes back to talking to their families.
"Sorry dad. I didn't know there was gonna be a rebel attack." I joke and he gives a small smile.
Umben is quietly asleep on one of the beds in the safe room. They probably had to get up early to get on the airplane here.
Brighton and her family walks over to sit by mine. Brighton has a younger brother, about Amphora's age by the looks of it, and an older sister who seems about twenty. She also has both her mom and her dad with her.
I quickly introduce my family to her family and Brighton does the same with her family. I can sort of see Amphora and Brighton's brother, Morson, staring at each other.
Our families continue to talk, and thankfully Brighton's family doesn't bring up the subject of my mom. Maybe Brighton already told them about it. Amphora continues to stare at Morson and he just stares back. They don't even talk. It reminds me of my awkward years. Wait. Am I still in my awkward years? Yeah. Probably.
I feel Amphora nudge me in the side with her elbow. "Look at them." She almost hisses, pointing at Rhode and Cordelia.
"Don't point." I say. Now Brighton looks over, too.
Cordelia and Rhode lean in to kiss and I see my sister jump up. "What are you doing?" I ask.
She starts walking over and says, "That little-"
"Woah!" I say as I put a hand over her mouth. "What are you doing?" I ask her again. We're standing a few feet away from where we sat with Brighton's family and now Brighton has rushed over here to us.
"I'm going to punch that-" she starts, but I put my hand over her mouth again. Brighton starts laughing and I can't help but let out a little giggle.
"Where did you learn to speak like that?" I ask her.
She shrugs and says, "While you were gone, I started hanging out with Banxton Leone."
"Little Banx says that?" I ask incredulously.
She just nods and then starts walking towards Cordelia and Rhode, who, by now, are just talking quietly. I'm surprised they hadn't heard us.
"Woah! Wait!" I say, running after her. I put on hand over her mouth and I motion for Brighton to help me drag her back to where we were sitting. I explain to her that he is here to date everybody.
She just grumbles about how Cordelia's family is probably safe in another safe room and that she's faking it. I'm kind of proud of my sister for knowing the right people to hate.
About an hour later, I hear a guard say, "All clear" and we are allowed out. But not before Queen Lilliana says something.
"I regret to inform you all that we need all the families to leave immediately. It was a pleasure having you stay here for the very little time we had, but we just can't have you stay here any longer. The ladies all have parties that are planned out and the first one is tomorrow, so they need their rest. Please say goodbye."
I turn to my dad first. "I love you, dad." I say, hugging him tight.
"Love you too, Sweetheart." He responds back.
Then I hug Amphora. "Stay away from that Banx kid. And Morson. And all boys." I say.
I can practically feel her rolling her eyes. "You can't make me."
"You're an idiot."
"You're a loser."
We both smile and break away from the hug. It's our way of saying that we'll miss each other.
Finally, I hug Umben. "I looooove you." I say.
"Yeah, you're okay." He responds. I pretend to be hurt and he says. "Just kidding. I love you, Cassie."
I smile and the guard from earlier escorts them away.
When all the families are gone, I hear a guard say to Cordelia, "I'm sorry to inform you, but your dad and brother are missing. We checked all the safe rooms and we can't find them anywhere. Do you wish to leave?"
Cordelia puts on a brave face and I am happy for her. She's a strong person. "I will stay." She says. "There's no use to moping around, whether it be at home or here."
And that's the moment when I knew that there was much more to Cordelia than I thought I had figured out.
The King then announces, "ladies, I know it is only 2:00, but I think you should rest or relax if you have your party all planned out. The next four days of parties will have a huge say in who goes home and who stays. I believe the party tomorrow is for the Prince of Australia's nineteenth birthday and that will be hosted by Caspian, Cordelia, and Brighton. That is all."
I sigh and I'm grateful that Cordelia, Brighton, and I have all of our party planned already. I just want to sleep right now. I go up to my room without saying a single word to anybody else, and I crash onto my bed.

Dear my wonderful readers,
Do people even read this part or just skip over it? Usually I read this, but sometimes I'm just like, "no. Definitely not reading that" Anyway, I just want to say thanks to you all for sticking through my a sense for what feels like a month. I had summer school to get ahead and I hated the class I took. Anyways, I want to say that I'm going on vacation tomorrow through Friday or something and I might not be able to update. But I'll try!
And one more thing! This story has reached 50K VIEWS!!! I can't believe it! You guys are so awesome! I feel like I should do something special for this! But I have no ideas....
And also, if you have an Instagram, you should follow me! I'm KatnissMellark___ (three underscores) right now it's being co-ran by yabookaddiction sometimes, but I'm trying to use it more! I have some pretty awesome fan edits that you should check out.
I think I'm done with my ramblings. So thanks again for 50K and I'll try to update soon! Bye!
Love ya long time, KatnissMellark_