44

"Mondstat is very pretty." Y/n turned her head to look at the man beside her. "Wouldn't you agree, Dottore?"

He only grumbled in response. She let out a sigh.

"Dottore, we can still sightsee." She paused for a moment. "Well, I can sightsee. I'm not so sure about you, considering your background at this place."

The doctor crossed his arms. "I just want to focus on the task at hand, darling. Getting to Dragonspine, collecting the samples, and getting the fuck out." He let out an angry sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I don't want to get caught up in Mondstat's matters, especially with the one they call Diluc."

She rested her hand on his arm. "It should be fine. If we do stumble across him, I'll take control of the situation, okay? I'll explain some stuff, maybe throw in some lies, and we'll be on our merry way."

"Is that so?"

Y/n jumped at the sudden voice. She looked at the man who seemed to appear out of nowhere and immediately recognized the bright red hair. "Shit." She whispered.

Dottore let out a hum in response, annoyed by the sudden appearance of this man. "Sir Diluc, nice to meet you once again. How long ago was our last meeting?"

Diluc narrowed his eyes at the doctor. It was clear that he wasn't happy with this situation either. He didn't say anything; his silence was enough.

"Oh, right. I remember now." The doctor gave him a wide grin. "It was when your father died. Pity about his death, really."

They stared at each other, Diluc getting closer and closer to wanting to burn the others face off, and Dottore simply wanting to stir up some trouble.

Like usual.

Y/n stepped between them, putting her hand Dottore's chest and pushing him back a little. "Please excuse him." She chuckled nervously. "We just got off the ship-"

She was rudely interrupted by Diluc grabbing her waist and pulling her away from the doctor, finding herself now behind the tavern owner. The red-haired man glared at the doctor before turning his attention to the woman behind him.

"Are you hurt? Did he do anything to you? Blink twice if you're in severe danger."

Y/n stared at him before letting out a snort. "Excuse me-" She stepped away from him, covering her mouth as she tried to hold in her laughter. Diluc stared at her, confused, standing awkwardly as the woman in front of him collapsed.

"Ma'am...?" The tavern owner voice trailed off.

"Hahaha! You really think-" She laughed once again, "You really think I'm being held against my will? That I am in severe danger?"

Dottore smiled, crossing his arms. Diluc continued staring at her, not sure on what to say. This reaction wasn't one that he was planning on, so he was left completely in the dark. Originally, he was going to save this woman from the doctor grasp, getting revenge on him for killing his father.

But this wasn't going to his plan! He sighed inwardly. That's fine. He'll just have to change his plan. Nothing new.

"Yes."

Y/n wiped a tear away from her eye, sighing. "I'm sorry, Sir Diluc, but I agreed to working with him."

Diluc's eyes narrowed at her. "What do you mean by that?"

"What I mean is that I agreed to work as his assistant. I am fully aware of all the crimes he committed, but they were all for Her Majesty, The Tsaritsa." She paused for a moment, getting her composure back.

"He was very ecstatic when I agreed to work with him."

Dottore put his hand on Diluc's shoulder, his grip nearly crushing the man's bone. "Indeed, I was, my dear Y/n." His grip tightened once more, earning a hiss of pain from the tavern owner. "Does that answer all of your questions, Diluc?"

The man stayed silent, staring at the woman in front of him.

"I am in no danger. You don't need to worry about a woman like me." She smiled softly. "You don't even need to worry about his actions towards Mondstat! I will keep him controlled, how does that sound?"

Diluc pulled his shoulder away from the doctor, glaring at him shortly before turning his gaze back over to the woman. His gaze softened, and he looked at her with something was almost like pity.

"Fine," He spoke. "But if I see this imbecile in Mondstat alone, I'll kill him."

Y/n walked over to stand beside the so-called imbecile. "Of course, I have no objections to that." She smiled at him, putting her hand on Dottore's chest. "Until we meet again, Sir Diluc."

She took the doctor's hand, dragging him away from the red-haired male. The two kept walking until they knew that they were out of the man's earshot.

"Wow, he really thought I was in danger." She let out a sigh.

"Technically, you are. Constantly, just from being at my side." Dottore shrugged, saying this like it was merely common knowledge. "There's no need to worry, however, I will keep you save."

She looked at him before letting out another sigh. "Good to know."

He smiled, humming an old, unfamiliar tune softly as he walked beside her. Y/n thought that she had heard every Snezhnayan tune before, and she was certain about this. The soldiers in the army knew every song, and they sang to pass the time and boost morale.

The answer she had for this was that it was not a Snezhnayan song. Or, it was a forgotten song. With a nation as old as Snezhnaya, it certainly was possible.

"Dottore, what song are you humming?"

He stopped humming. "Ah, is my humming bothering you?"

She stared at him. Is he dodging the question? "No, it is not. I think your voice is nice. I'm just wondering song you're humming."

"What song do you think I'm humming?"

"Not one from Snezhnaya. I've heard all the songs from my time in the war!"

He chuckled at her reaction. "I'll take your word for it." He didn't say anything else, looking off into the distance with a solemn look.

Y/n saw this odd look a bit strange, but her mind trailed back to when she had stumbled across the Tsaritsa in the forest. She remembered the small snow figures she had seen.

He must know the song from one of the two people before me. She looked away, following his gaze to the distance.

She'll wait until he is ready to tell her.

However long that may be.