48

Too much was happening at the same time.

La Signora died, a meeting is being held, anger throughout the palace.

She was briefed on it (not really, she had overheard it from some guards who didn't know how to keep their mouth shut. It was a wonder that they were still alive at the moment, since gossip and small talk wasn't really a thing) and she mourned the loss of a person she had never met.

It was hard to mourn though. It was somebody she hadn't met. However, she couldn't shake the feeling that she knew her from somewhere, someplace, long ago. Y/n searched her memories for the cause of this feeling, and nothing came up. It felt odd.

The main part of her funeral was spent with the other Harbingers. At least, the ones who had the mind to show up. Pierro, Dottore, Columbia, Captaino, Pulcinella, Sandrone, Pantalone, Arlecchino, and Tartaglia. They decided to have a meeting around her coffin -her empty coffin- and she could only assume that something happened to her body that made it so.

It could have something to do with the Traveler and their floating companion. It could also have something to do with the Electro Archon.

Y/n bit the nail of her thumb, pacing outside of the meeting room. She knew that if the Traveler killed Signora, they would be making an enemy of an entire nation. It was the same with the Archon, but the Tsaritsa hasn't come up with the technology to enact revenge quite yet, if she was going to at all.

She stopped pacing, deciding to focus more on the meeting on what they could be talking about. She leaned against the wall, silent and listening carefully.

There was singing.

It wasn't the sweet kind of singing; it was more of the creepy kind. As soon as she heard it, shivers went up her spine. The singing seemed to belong to a voice she had never met, and she could assume that it was Columbia. Y/n closed her eyes, trying to calm her nerves.

"... think themselves to be all-knowing."

She opened her eyes. Another new voice. It was muffled, of course, so she couldn't make out all the words. She didn't want to make it obvious that she was listening in, otherwise she would've pressed her ear to door. She almost laughed at the mental image.

She assumed that the people that this new voice was talking about to be the sages at the academia. She remembered Dottore saying something about them, not nice things obviously.

"But we alone are wise to the virtue in those acts of folly."

The small smile that appeared on her face faded. Acts of folly? She didn't quite understand what that meant. Y/n frowned slightly, and she wished that she was allowed in the room. As if being in there would help her understand whatever this new person meant.

"In this war, not even a single pawn may be spared. Because on this chessboard, 'checkmate' is not where the game ends."

A game. She nodded slightly, pretending that she was lost in her own thoughts if any people passed by her. It made sense, to think of this as a game. A game of chess made the most sense, as chess often required the players to think several steps ahead of the person. To think of the possibilities the opponent could take and how to counter them.

She was beginning to think that this new voice was the first Harbinger. The one of now three she has yet to meet. The voice, from what she could gather, was wise, and clearly had a lot of experience under his grasp. She could feel the power he held from out in the hall.

Of course, in some cruel way (or she just picked it up from one of Dottore's more sinister clones), she wanted to know what it would be like if he got angry. What aura would he have then? Would it cause you to freeze? Suffocate from where you were standing? Would it stop your heart from the fear of death by the hand of this man?

She covered the grin on her face with her hand, not realizing it had formed amongst her thoughts. 

"... all work should halt for half a day as the nation mourns her passing."

Pulcinella's voice snapped her out of her dark thoughts. She stopped smiling and looked down at the ground, suddenly embarrassed by her actions. Did being with Dottore for so long change her this much?

"Merely half a day?" Pantalone's voice had an undertone of laughter to it. It was remarkably noticeable. Still, it felt nice to hear his voice again after so long. "People say the Northland Bank's true currencies are blood and tears. But Mayor, even speaking as a banker, that sounds a little unconscionable."

Pulcinella is the mayor? Y/n ran a hand down her face. She knew she should've paid more attention to the politic, as much as she hates to be involved with them. She let out a small sigh, straining her ear to listen to more.

"Rosalyne died in a foreign land. But you heartless businessman and dignitaries always with a convenient excuse to remain in the comfort of your homeland." Arlecchino's tone was mocking. It was painfully clear. "You couldn't hope to understand. So why don't you keep your mouths shut! We don't want to make the children cry."

So, Signora's real name is Rosalyne. Her eyes narrowed at the ground. Noted.

"Hey, c'mon now, even I don't think this is the right time or place for a fight."

Tartaglia. She couldn't help but smile. She hadn't seen him in a while either; he was probably waiting for a letter for his offer back at the party. She'll take him up on it, after her trip in the desert.

"Utterly risible." That was Sandrone's voice. Her mind went back to the small contraption that harbinger had given her. Dottore did like it, always muttering under his breath as he worked on how it could possibly work without the use of the elements. Khaenri'ah was a fascinating place. She could only hope to go to the ruins someday.

"Though her methods tarnished her honor, Lohefalter's sacrifice is a great pity. Her loss shall not hinder our progress. But Dottore, what of Scaramouche and the Gnosis from Inazuma?"

Y/n stood up completely. This was something having to do with the trip she has to take within a few days. Although now, she isn't sure if she's going with a clone or the original himself.

"Conventional wisdom holds that Divine Knowledge cannot be rationally comprehended. After conquering the Divine Gaze, he will make his next move."

The Divine Gaze he mentioned must the Gnosis. That, or some twisted way of defying Celestia and the destiny it had bestowed upon individuals. It made sense either way, but she couldn't shake the feeling that he was perhaps talking about both.

"It's time to end tonight's foolish theatrics. Right now, you have no captive audience." It was the first voice again. Everything he said seemed to be in a message, and she had a feeling he wasn't from Snezhnaya. "Let every worthy sacrifice be carved in ice, and with this nation endure for all time. In the name of Her Majesty, the Tsaritsa, we will seize authority from the gods."

Every word he said lodged itself in her brain. It could simply be the way he spoke, but the power behind his words told her that he wasn't lying.

"Absolute peace. Such is the gift from the Tsaritsa, such is Her Majesty's benevolence."

Amen. Y/n closed her eyes and nodded. His next few words were quieter, like he was speaking to the ghost of the 8th Harbinger. She couldn't catch them. She did catch the last part, and it seemed like a promise.

"Your final resting place will be the entirety of the 'Old World.'"