Chapter Fourteen

I clatter out of Abigail's door running late once again when someone clears their throat behind me. I turn to Anna leaning against her door eyeing me mischievously. "You miss family dinner again but looks like you have been next door all along" she raises an eyebrow grinning.

  "I've been working overtime all week I didn't get here till like eleven, promise I will attend next week" climbing over the small iron fence that separates their gardens making my way to her but swiftly the grin she's sporting drops as I get close.

"What the hell happened to you now" my exhaustion is so  insanely overwhelming that I completely forgot about the shit show that happened yesterday. I haven't had time to even look at myself today to survey the damage but it must be grim judging by the look on Anna's face.

"For once this is not my fault" I hold up my hands in surrender "you know that weird new guy, well he got fired and I just happened to be the first person he saw so he took it out on me. Matthew never hid his disdain for me so I guess he was just waiting for an excuse" I shrug, in comparison to everything that went on with Abi last night I'm over it.

  Whipping out my phone, quickly checking the time as she says "About Saturday."

"I'm so sorry Anna, I should have left like an hour ago if I ever hope of leaving the office at a normal time tomorrow." Dropping a light kiss on her forehead before climbing back over the fence calling a quick "I love you" while jumping into my car.

   When I stumble into the office my brain is already struggling to focus on anything other than putting one foot in front of another, I just whip around the reception desk when Vera flies out of her office grabbing me into a tight hug.

   Her thick red hair is piled on top of her head in a bun and when she pulls back, the prominent bags under her eyes emphasises the trauma that Matthew has caused this wonderful woman. I wish that Tim had let me punch him just once for hurting our lovely grandmother.

"Thank you for the flowers, Alexander." Her voice is so sad causing an immense rage to unfurl in my chest.

"Don't worry about it Vera we are all just glad to have you back." I had signed the flowers from the whole office so I assume she must be hijacking everyone who passes her door. Vera gives me another hug then walks into her office without another word. Mathew has really messed her up and I fucking despise him for it.

  The rest of Thursday passes in a blur, despite constantly clashing against my astounding exhaustion that has kept my brain in a fog all day, by eight thankfully I have an almost clear desk and my half day tomorrow looks secured. I've not taken a half day in years since there's never been a good reason to, but Abigail does strange things to me in the best way.

   When my head finally hits my bed, I'm instantly dragged into unconsciousness, unfortunately not for long. I wake up flailing as remnants of the nightmare cling to me with deep claws, skewering my chest. I'm still trying to get a hold of myself, fighting back the panic attack trying to overtake me when the front door opens. It closes quietly as my heart rate kicks up but I can't find it within myself to prepare for potential battle.

  Abigail shuffles in looking worse for wear. Her face is red and I can tell even in the dim moonlight that she has been crying. I push the nightmare to the back of my mind and attempt to smother the misery seeping from the cracks within my chest by focusing on the broken goddess staring back at me.

  She seems frozen so I start to get out of bed. "No! Stay there" Abi's voice is trembling, I grip the sheets to keep myself in place while she slides off her jeans and jumper. Quickly climbing beneath the duvet, curling up beside me. I envelop her in my arms and she lets out a satisfied sigh into my shoulder.

"You should have text me, I would have picked you up." Sounding groggy I give my head a hard shake to try clear it.

"No. I couldn't wake you, especially when I was the one who suggested we sleep apart." Abi squeezes her arms tighter around my waist, nuzzling into my chest as if she wishes to burrow deep inside me.

"For future notice I sleep like shit. You can text me at any point and chances are I will probably be up" I yawn into her hair inhaling a lung full of sweet honey emanating from her.

"Noted, no more horrible midnight taxis for me" I feel Abi smile onto my chest flooding me with relief.

"Good" I murmur, slowly being tugged back to unconsciousness.

"I couldn't sleep without you" It's only a whisper but I catch it.

Placing a kiss on her head I admit, "Yeah wasn't doing so hot here myself" what a pair we make but I know that the dark is less ominous with Abigail around.