Chapter Twenty-One

I'm awoken with a kiss and I fear I have legitimately died and gone to heaven. When I open my eyes to Abigail inches away from me. "I could get used to this" she smiles radiantly, dropping another kiss on me, "you doing anything today?" I ask while rubbing my fingers across her soft stomach.

"Nope, nothing I'm all yours" Her eyes flutter closed and its obvious that she is just as tired as me.

 "I really fucking love you" I whisper while pressing my lips to her cheek still in disbelief that yesterday happened, also having her know a part of me that I keep hidden from the world only adds to how incredible it is to have her currently here in my arms. 

  Abigail practically glows next to me, while I ask "What is your favourite film?" brushing her thick hair behind her ear.

"The Lost Boys, it's an eighties film with Kiefer Sutherland in it" excitement fills her voice.

 "Great soundtrack if I remember right... go put it on then" she springs from the bed grabbing the remote and settling back into my arms.

 "My mum was obsessed with him. Growing up I was constantly surrounded with his films but this one has always been my favourite" she beams as the intro starts.

  We are about half way through, Abi has been asleep for most of the film, but I'm actually enjoying it. My phone starts vibrating and when I glance at the screen to be met with Edward's name glowing there, he almost never calls –he is strictly a text guy- a wave of panic runs through my body.

"Edward, are you OK?" I keep my voice calm feeling anything but.

"I think you should take some more time off" his voice is weird, he is hiding something.

"Why? did I mess up another account?" panic is roaring through me now but I keep it out of my voice.

"No, your work has been impeccable... it's just for your own safety... you should take some time away from here." His voice has a rare authoritative ring to it. 

"You need to explain Edward? Tell me or I swear to hell I will hand in my notice right now." Abi tenses under me so I make an extra effort to keep all emotion out of my voice.

 He sighs defeated, "Our office was broken into last night... the human resources department is a shambles"

"What does this have to do with me?" it's almost impossible to stop myself from devolving into a complete panic attack.

  "I didn't want to add to your troubles but when Matthew threatened Vera it was because he wanted access to staff files" he sighs again "yours in particular. Vera thought it was suspicious so refused him... I won't tell you what he said to her as I might kill him myself if I must repeat it again."

   The rage pouring out of this usually calm man is unnerving, "Do you have somewhere you can stay? You are welcome to come here again but please don't stay at your apartment for now until we know more" he is practically begging me by the end.

  Taking a deep breath and throwing on a playful tone. "I could ask my girlfriend if I can stay with her for a few nights," I mouth to a stunned Abigail "you are my girlfriend, right?" she nods vigorously.

  "Good please stay with her. I'm putting you under strict house arrest until the police find Matthew." He sounds more like a dad than my actual father ever did. The fact of it makes me laugh.

  "I could definitely take Matthew.... you know how obsessive they are in my building with security I'm sure it would be fine." Abigail bolts up eyes wide, I shake my head and mouth "it's fine"