Chapter 5 - Flowers

The rest of the school day was boring, as every other school day was. Except of course my favorite class, art. Art was the only class I actually really paid attention to. Like I mentioned I had a passion for art. Painting, drawing, sculpting, you name it, whatever art activity you can think of I took a passion for.

It was an outlet for my emotions. It was also just a way to be free and create whatever I desired. There were no high expectations, rules or really anything. I also sometimes just  did art for fun, to create something cool or pretty.

I loved art, I hoped I could pursue it in the future. Of course my parents never supported my passion. They said I could do it as a hobby but it could never turn into anything more. They thought no one would enjoy my art.

Sometimes I hate them, they always drag me down. They make me feel worthless sometimes.

But at least I could count on one person to be on my side, my one and only sister. Boy did I love her for that. She'd always support me in my dreams, she said she loved my art and that other people would love it too.

However she was also very truthful. She said not everyone would enjoy my artwork, like my parents. But she told me not to let that stop me, to keep pursuing my dreams no matter what.

During art class we were supposed to work on a project. I already finished mine about a week ago so I could do something else. I decided to paint.

My favorite thing to paint was flowers, I always admired them. They were so beautiful and delicate, but also very strong. They could withstand lots of things. The flowers in the highest mountains could withstand high winds. The flowers in the fields could protect themselves from certain predators that could hurt them. No matter how delicate they may look, flowers are very strong.

I was about halfway done with my painting when class was over. "Leave it for another day y/n." Mrs.Lee said. She was my favorite teacher, she was kind of like a friend to me. She really supported my work. "Another orchid y/n?" She asked looking at my unfinished painting. "Yeah. They are my favorite flower." I stated. "Yes, yes I know." She said. "Alright I should go." I said hanging up my apron. "Bye Mrs.Lee!" I said heading out of class. "Bye y/n!" She said back.

Finally the school day was over. I longed to get out of my skirt and put on some more comfortable clothes. Well as comfortable as they get.

I began walking through the halls to the entrance of the school. I heard a familiar voice when I was almost to the entrance. I looked over to the lockers. "Oh hey Ponyboy!" I said walking towards him. "Hi y/n!" He said with a smile on his face. "Hey sorry about detention." He apologized, his smile fading. "Oh no it's ok. I probably would have been in there anyways, even without you talking to me." I said rubbing my neck. I tried my best to smile and be friendly so he didn't feel to bad. "Detention is just a little boring is all." I continued. "I'm still sorry, and you don't have to take pity for me." He said. I nodded my head.

"Pony!" I heard someone yell from across the hall. I looked over their way, it was Keith Matthews. One of the other greasers in the Curtis gang. He made his way over to Ponyboy and ruffled his hair. "Who's this? You mom?" He asked, looking towards me. I giggled at his joke. "This is y/n." Ponyboy said. "Y/n this is my friend Keith. I call him Two-bit though." I examined him up and down. He was wearing jeans and a sleeveless Micky Mouse shirt. He seemed like a child in a way. He had light brown greasy hair and friendly grey eyes. "Nice ta meet ya y/n." He said shaking my hand. "Nice to meet you too Keith." I said. "Call me Two-bit, it's better." He said. "Ok, Two-bit." I said.

Two-bit. That's an odd nickname.