Chapter 26 - Matilda

We crossed the tracks, we were on the south side now. Through the south side we got looks from people, well mostly Steve did. Socs didn't like greasers. Anytime they were in their "territory" as they liked to call it, they'd give them weird looks, so I wasn't surprised when they looked at Steve like that. It was a bit uncomfortable, all the people staring at us, but I brushed it off.

After a long, awkward walk with Steve we arrived at my house. We paused for a moment in front of it, I sighed as we went up the steps. When we got up close to the door I could hear muffled yelling. I knocked hesitatingly on the door, fearing that my dad would come. I heard footsteps rushing to the door as I took a deep breath.

Thankfully Matilda opened the door. When she opened the door I saw a glimpse of my mom and dad fighting in the background. Matilda quickly shut the door behind her. "Hey Matilda." I said. "Hey." She said while breathing out. She looked over to Steve, who was staring at her. "Hello." She said, smiling. "That's Steve." I said. "Nice to meet you Steve." She greeted him, shaking his hand. He was speechless. I rolled my eyes. I knew why he was speechless, Matilda was beautiful, like and angel of sorts. He was mesmerized by her. Sometimes I wished people would look at me that way.

I gave him a nudge on the shoulder, causing him to brake out of his little trance. "Steve this is my sister, Matilda." I stated, gesturing towards her. He shook her hand furiously. She giggled as I smacked his hand away. "Calm down man." I said. He rolled his eyes at me. We all walked down the stairs and into the road.

"What's happening now?" I asked Matilda. "With what?" She asked, turning to me. I rolled my eyes playfully at her. "Mom and dad." I stated. She nodded her head in understanding. "He got back home from work and she was yelling at him for hitting us the other night." She stated. I nodded my head. "Your parents hit ya?" Steve spoke up. Matilda and I both looked over in his direction. "Yeah, me and my mom." Matilda answered. "The night I stayed at the Curtises." I made clear. He nodded his head. "That's sucks." He stated. "Yeah..." Matilda trailed off.

For most of the walk Steve was flirting with Matilda, I had to keep telling him off. She kept telling me "it's no big deal" every time I'd stop him, so I eventually backed off and stayed silent. When we walked across the tracks over to the north side I was expecting Matilda to say something about how I was friends with greasers, apparently she didn't mind. It wasn't to surprising to me though, she was always kind about those sorts of things, she never hated greasers or anything like that.

The houses kept getting more and more prestigious as we went on with our walk. Then after awhile of having to listen to Steve's horrible pickup lines we finally arrived at the Curtis house. I led the two up the stairs and swung open the door.

Dallas and Johnny were still sitting on the couch and Soda had joined them in watching television, he sat at their feet. Pony was probably off in a room or something like that. All three of us scooted into the small living room and shut the door behind us.

All of the guys looked up at us, all their eyes landed on Matilda. Dallas smirked, Soda put on a wide, welcoming grin, and Johnny just stared at her in fear, as he usually does with socs.

"This is my sister, Matilda." I said, gesturing towards her. "It's nice to finally meet you." Soda said in a friendly manner. He got up and shook her hand. Thankfully Sodapop didn't seem very interested in her. She smiled at him as she shook his hand.

"Hey." Dallas said, winking at her. She giggled. He got up and started walking over to her but I got in the way of him. "Hey." He said, angrily. "Don't try nothing Dallas. May I remind you that's she's 20." I said, seriously. He rolled his eyes at me. "So?" He asked. I rolled my eyes. "Oh come on y/n, don't be a party pooper." I heard Matilda say from behind me. "Yeah, don't be a party pooper." Dallas said, smirking. I rolled my eyes at him. "God you're so immature." I said under my breath as I passed by Matilda. "I heard that." Matilda made clear.

"Matilda." Matilda greeted Dallas. They began talking, and Dallas began flirting. I rolled my eyes at their behavior. Johnny watched silently, still on the couch. "Where's Pony?" I asked, looking around the room. "He's in our room. I'll go get him." Soda said as he walked off. I nodded my head.

After a moment Pony and Soda came wandering out of the room. Soda shut the door behind them and they walked into the living room. "Hey y/n." Pony greeted me. "Hey." I said. Ponyboys eyes landed on Matilda. "That's my sister." I said. "Maybe if she would stop flirting with 17 year old boys she could say hi." I said, annoyed. Matilda stopped the conversation with Dallas and started walking towards Ponyboy. "Maybe if you grew a pair you could do the same." She said as she walked passed me. I stuck my tongue out in a mocking way as she giggled. She's can be a real prick sometimes. Everyone laughed, especially Dallas.

"I'm Matilda." She greeted Pony. She shook his hand. "Ponyboy." Pony said. "Soda do you know where my..." Darrel came out of a room and paused in the living room at the sight of Matilda. Great, another person who's stunned by Matilda. She looked up from Ponyboy and her smile grew as she saw Darrel.

"Matilda?" Darrel asked. Wait he knows her?! Everyone looked up, confused. "Why if it isn't ol' Darry Curtis." Matilda said as she approached him. They both smiled at each other. "Livin' and breathing." Darrel said back to her. "Wait, you guys know each other?" Me and Soda asked at the same time. "We were real good friends back in high school." Matilda answered, not taking her eyes off of Darrel. Who would have thought. Darrel and Matilda. They both looked into each others eyes, they didn't even blink. It almost seemed like they were in their own world, like it was only them. Everyone sat in silence, watching them smile at each other.

"Good god, just make out already!" Steve yelled from behind me. Everyone chuckled. "Shut up!" Both Darrel and Matilda yelled, turning to us, they turned red. They quickly looked away from us and locked eyes again.