Chapter 73 - Cold

The cold breeze hit my frigid body. I was tucked under Dallas's beat up leather jacket, but still cold. It was one of those nights where it didn't matter how much layers you put on, your lips still shook, your teeth still chattered.

I brought my head lower into the jacket, trying to stay warm as my arm hooked around Dally's. I felt bad as I looked to his bare, goosebump covered arms, but I knew he'd never take his jacket away from me after he saw how shaky I was in the cold night air.

I was flustered at how kind he had been in those past few days. Maybe it had been the fact that he was away from me for four months, or the fact that he loved me, and I loved him. Though I did like the tough aspect of Dallas, I had enjoyed the kindhearted side of him and longed for more.

In those past couple nights, he gave me his jacket twice, something I never would've expected of him. I knew it was only certain times that I would be able to crack through his hard exterior and find his soft side, but I was content with that fact, because I loved his cold side as much as his warm side.

I smiled at my thoughts as we approached the house, the lights shining through the messy blinds and illuminating the rough wood boards of the porch. We went through the squeaky gate and up the rickety stairs, our steps echoing through the quiet
neighborhood. I opened the door to the quiet house and Dallas followed me inside.

Darry looked up from the local newspaper in his hands as Dallas closed the door behind us. He looked at us with confusion. "Where Ponyboy and Johnny?" He asked. I merely shrugged. "Probably with those soc girls at the movies still." Dallas answered. "Soc girls?" Soda asked as he sat up from the couch. Dally nodded.

"Why aren't they with you guys?" Darry piped. "We went to get a drink at Bucks." Dallas replied. "You-" Darry grew louder. Before he could continue, he took a deep breath and calmed down. "Don't do that again alright?" He demanded. "I don't want em getting jumped and beat. They ain't safe on their own." Darry continued. Both me and Dallas nodded our heads in agreement.

"At least I got you home on time." Dallas muttered in my ear as he passed by me to sit on the couch. I laughed to myself as I followed him. I flopped down on the sofa in between Dally and Soda. We all looked to the television which had been playing "Bonanza" quietly. Dally put his arm around me as we payed close attention to the show.

The episode had finished after a little bit and as I looked around the house, I quickly realized Matilda wasn't there. "Where Matilda?" I asked, looking to Darry. "She said she was goin on a walk, gettin fresh air." He answered. I nodded my head in understanding.

"Alone?" I asked. "She said she needed some alone time." Darry replied. "Free her mind or something like that." He continued. I was questioning why Darry let her go alone, like Matilda said herself, he got scared easily. I just brushed it off and turned my head right back to the television as it played late night commercials.

As we watched an advertisement for dog food, the phone rang. "I'll get it." I said as Darry started to get up. He sat back down as I pushed myself off the couch and headed towards the phone. "Thanks y/n." Darry said. I nodded my head at him as I picked up the phone and put it to my ear.

"Hello?" I answered. "Y/n." It was the familiar voice of my sister. "Matilda?" I asked. Darry looked up to me. "Yeah it's me." She stated. "Where are you?" I asked with confusion. "I'm at our house." She replied. I looked around the house. "I don't see you here." I said as leaned against the wall. She sighed. "Our parents house stupid." She said with annoyance. "Why are you there? Didn't they leave?" I questioned her. "Just come here alright." She demanded, growing loud. "Alright alright, geez." I said hastily. She hung up the phone before I could.

"Did Matilda call you?" Darry asked with curiosity. "Yeah..." I trailed off as I rubbed my neck. "Where is she?" He asked. "She's at our parents house for some reason. She wants me to go over there." I answered. He looked up to me with confusion in his eyes.

"Well I'm gonna go now." I stated as I headed to the door. "I'll come with you." He said as he got up from his rocking chair. "It kind of seemed like she just wanted me." I said. He sighed. "Fine. But be careful." He demanded as he sat down. "I will." I said as I opened the door. I grabbed Dallas's jacket from off the coatrack as I went out the door.

The cold air blasted me as I ran down the porch steps. I went out the gate and immediately shoved my numb hands into the pockets of Dally's leather jacket. I walked along the side of the dirt road for what felt like eternity in the chilly night. I looked up to the sky as I walked, admiring the gleaming atmosphere. I took in a deep breath, the frigid air traveling through my body.

I began speed walking, trying to escape the cold as the breeze of the night became a heavy wind. I felt my nose and cheeks become red as my body dropped in temperature. I felt goosebumps arise on my arms and legs as I quickened my pace to a run. My black combat boots became brown as I kicked up dust from the road. I looked ahead of me with alertness, trying my best to keep my head tucked into the collar of Dally's jacket.

As I got quicker and more alert, I spotted bright lights in front of me. I moved more to the edge of the road as I watched the car come down the street. I examined the car closely as it got close enough to see every detail of it. My eyes widened at the sight of a shiny blue mustang with five large silhouettes coming near me.

"Shit." I muttered quietly as I tried my best to find a hiding spot. Fallen dry leaves cracked below my feet as I rushed behind a nearby tree. I peaked my head out from behind the trunk and watched it drive right past me. I looked intently as a street light illuminated the car. I saw a glimpse of Bob Sheldon with one hand on the wheel and one holding a beer bottle, tipping it to his mouth. I felt my body grow colder as I shook anxiously at the sight of him, images of that night flashing in my mind.

~

I looked towards Johnny who was being held up by his shoulders. He kicked his legs, trying to get away from the boys grip. "Let go of him!" I shouted weakly. Bob cracked his knuckles as he got closer to Johnny.

"Stop it!" I yelled as Bob made a tight fist. He was about to punch him. Tears began welling up in my eyes as I watched Bob get ready to punch Johnny. Bob looked back to me with a devilish smile then brought his attention back to Johnny. I felt the tears run down my face as he punched Johnny. "Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!" I shouted. "Please!" I begged. He kept punching and punching. I could tell Johnny grew weaker with every punch, his eyes slowly began to shut.

~

I closed my eyes with fear as my heart raced and my breathing became fast. "What the hell is he up to now?" I thought. I calmed down as I leaned against the trunk of the tree. I needed to go to Matilda, so I ignored the fact that Bob was on the north side and left, running down the block hurriedly.