Chapter 12 - Dad

I heard footsteps getting louder and louder. I knew someone was coming to the door. My dad answered the door, he was towering over me with fire in his eyes. I sighed as he asked, "Where were you?" He sounded angry. "I told you last night I was going out." I said leading myself into the house. "Where were you the whole night then?" He asked, still angry sounding. "I ended up spending the night with Cherry Valence." I lied.

My dad slammed the front door behind him as he walked up to me. "Why are you so angry? I thought you liked Cherry Valence." I stated. "Why didn't you tell me?" He said with anger in his eyes. "I did tell you, last night. Remember?" I said starring up at him. He crossed his arms over his chest. "Why do even care? You never even care about me, or where I am anyways!" I yelled. I regretted yelling at him because right after I did his eyes became inflamed. "I'm sorry dad, I didn't mean to..." He slapped me across the face. I brought my hand to my cheek as I teared up. Why was he acting like this? Sure he didn't care about me but he never hit me. I shoved him to the side and ran up the stairs to my bedroom.

As I went into my bedroom I slammed the door behind me. I sat down, leaning against my bed. I heard muffled yelling coming from downstairs. It sounded like my mom and dad. Why was dad acting so weird? I thought to myself. And where is Matilda?

I buried my face in my legs and started crying. What happened last night? I thought. One night I'm away and the next day all has gone to hell?

I wanted to leave my house and run away as fast as I could. But I wanted to see Matilda, I wanted to make sure she was ok. I have no idea what happened last night while I was gone but I hope she's ok.

I got up and went to go check her room which was across the hall. I slowly opened her door but didn't see her. I went out of her room and back into mine. I decided to wait and see if she'd come back from wherever she was.

A couple hours had passed and she still wasn't home so I waited longer. I drew flowers to pass the time, especially orchids as they're my favorite. I waited for hours, and there was still no sight of her.

I heard my dad leave the house sometime around 7:00. I decided to go downstairs and ask my mom if she knew where Matilda was. I slowly crept down the stairs and peaked around the corner of the wall. I saw my mom sitting on the couch and crying. I went down the stairs and sat next to her.

"What happened last night?" I asked. She looked towards me, her eyes were flooded. "Y-your dad got drunk last night. He came home early in the morning and hit me and your s-sister." She stuttered. I became enraged. How could he do such a thing? "Why would he do that?" I asked. "I-I don't know. He was just so angry." She mumbled. "You know how he gets, he never cares about any of us." She said. "Yeah..." I trailed off. "Lately he's just been... different." She said putting her hands to her face. "Where's Matilda?" I asked. "I-I don't know. I told her to leave the house and run." She said. "I'm sorry about last night." I said. "It's ok, it wasn't your fault." She said. I got up after a minute of silence and went back to my room. It seemed like my mom wanted to be alone.

"Where could Matilda be?" I asked myself, leaning against my desk. I thought of the friends she had, maybe she was staying with one of them. The only friend that I knew she had was Cherry Valence, even though she's a bit younger. They had been good friends for awhile. I used the phone I had in my room and dialed Cherry's number. She answered.

"Hello?" She said. "Hi Cherry, it's y/n. Is there any chance Matilda is with you?" I asked. "She was here a couple minutes ago but she left to get some food or something." Cherry said. "Thanks Cherry." I hung up the phone and dashed down the stairs and out the door.

When she says she's going to get food shes lying. She always goes to the bar to get drunk and party with her friends. I ran to the bar where I thought she was. This bar was a fancy bar where rich fancy people went to get cocktails and what not. It was a couple blocks from our neighborhood so I ran fast down the street.

When I got there I was out of breath. I leaned against the wall near the entrance so I could catch my breath. Then I headed inside.

As I went inside everyone looked at me weird. I knew I didn't fit in with my baggy jeans and baggy T-Shirt while everybody else was in dresses and suits. I scanned the room to find Matilda. I saw a girl with sparkling brown wavy hair and ice blue eyes.

"Matilda!" I yelled running over to her. "Y/n?" She asked, clearly drunk. "You scared me Matilda." I said. I looked closely at her face, it was bruised and scratched. "Are you ok Matilda?" I asked. "I'm great!" She yelled. "You bruised." I said touching where her face was injured. "It's fine!" She said pushing my hand away. "Hey little girl, run off will ya. We we were having a conversation." I turned around to see a strange man, he looked to be in his forty's or fifties. He seemed like a creep. I turned back around to Matilda. I grabbed her wrist and dragged her out of the bar.

"Hey!" She whined. "You should thank me, I got you away from that creep." I said. "He was nice!" She yelled. "He was in his fifties or something." I said. She whined. "Can we go back?" She asked. "No." I said. "I'm bringing you back home." I said. I hoped dad wasn't there.

We got to the house and I opened the door. I dragged her up the stairs to her room. I laid her in bed and put the sheets over her. "Goodnight." I said. She was already sound asleep. I went to my room and tried to go to sleep.