Chapter 49 - Run away

I sat up in confusion. The house was dark and quiet. I felt pain in my stomach. I completely forgot what happened a couple hours before. I looked around and saw Matilda passed out against the front door. I rubbed my forehead as I stood up weakly. I slowly walked over to Matilda and crouched down in front of her. I shook her, trying to wake her up. After a second of shaking her she woke up. Her eyes fluttered open as she looked around.

"Are you ok?" I asked quietly. "Hmm?" She asked in confusion. "Are you ok?" I asked again. She sat for a moment in silence. I flopped down next to her and laid my head on her shoulder.  "What happened?" She asked weakly. She winced as she propped herself up. "I don't remember." I whispered as my eyes slowly closed. "My head hurts." She quietly complained. I groaned in response. I was too tired and hurt to speak. We sat in silence as both of us fell asleep on the ground.

~

I woke up with pain still in my stomach. I looked around, the house was empty and silent. The morning light shined through the windows and onto the shiny floorboards. I could see small dust particles flying through the air. I looked to my side and saw Matilda still fast asleep, she had a large bruise on the side of her head, it looked bad. Her head was resting on my arm.

I slowly got up from the ground and gently set Matilda's head against the door. I walked slowly around the house and saw no one. All I could hear was my footsteps and the sound of birds chirping. I walked into the kitchen and decided to eat breakfast. I took a box of cereal off of the shelf and took a bowl out of the cabinet. I opened the box and poured a small amount of cereal into the bowl. I took milk out of the refrigerator and poured some over the cereal. I put everything back and started eating.

The crunch of the cereal was loud, it almost seemed to echo through the house. The house was very quiet. I sat for awhile at the large dining table as I ate. I set the bowl in the sink after I finished and walked over to Matilda. I shook her gently as her eyes opened. "Are you alright?" I asked. She looked up to me. "I think so." She answered. I nodded as I placed my hand on her bruise. She winced. "Are you sure?" I asked, concerned. "Yeah I'm okay." She replied as she weakly stood up. I stood up with her.

"What happened?" She asked. I stood for a moment in thought. Soon enough, the memories came flooding back. "I think it was dad." I answered. She nodded her head. "Why?" She asked. I thought for a moment as I looked around the house. Behind me I saw the pregnancy test laying on the ground. I slowly walked over and picked it up. I showed it to Matilda as her eyes widened. "They found out?!" She whisper yelled. I nodded my head. "Shit." She said.

She stood for a moment in disbelief. She walked around the silent room. "Where are they?" She asked in confusion. I shrugged. We both walked around the house and found no one. Afterwards, Matilda began pacing around the living room in nervousness. "What's wrong?" I asked. "They hate me. Don't they?" She replied. "Well did they ever love you?" I asked. She stopped pacing and stood in thought. "I guess not." She answered.

"But I know for sure that once they get back from wherever they are, they're gonna kill me." She mentioned. I thought for a moment. My eyes lit up when I came up with an idea. "What if we run away?" I suggested. She stood still. "We can go to the Curtis house or something." I continued. "I don't know..." She trailed off. "It'll be fun." I said excitedly. She sighed. "Fine." She finished. I grinned as I grabbed her wrist and dragged her up the stairs. I let go of her in the hall and ran into my room.

I grabbed a bag from the corner of my closet and started throwing clothes into it. I ran to the bathroom and grabbed everything I needed from there. A brush, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and a bag of makeup. I hardly ever wore makeup, but assumed I'd need it eventually so I took it. I ran out into the hall and ran into Matilda.

"We're going now?" She asked in confusion. "You're not packed yet?" I asked as I looked into her room. "No?" She gave me a confused look. "Well then pack." I demanded. "Before dad and mom come back." I continued. She rolled her eyes at me. "Fine." She said as she walked to her room. She began packing as I ran into my room. I threw the stuff in the bag and zipped it up.

I ran down the stairs and waited for Matilda by the front door.