Chapter 28 - Leaving

The night had to come to an end eventually. I wished it couldn't, I wish it'd last forever, but eventually we had to leave.

"It was nice meeting all of you, I had fun. It was good seeing you again Darry." Matilda said, grabbing her coat. She went over to Darrel and gave him a hug. "It was nice seeing you too." Darrel said as they pulled away from each other. The both gave each other a big smile before me and Matilda went over to the door. "Bye!" We yelled as we went out the door. "Bye!" Everyone yelled back as we shut the door. We walked down the stairs and out the gate.

"That was fun." Matilda mentioned. I nodded my head. "You seemed to have a lot of fun with Darrel." I said, smirking. She playfully rolled her eyes at me. "We were really good friends. We were just catching up with each other." Matilda stated. "Just friends." I said using hand quotations. She playfully rolled her eyes at me. "Yes, just friends." Matilda said.

"You seemed to be having a lot of fun with Dallas." Matilda stated, smirking. I nudged her shoulder. "He hates me, and I hate him." I said, crossing my arms. "Didn't look like that to me." Matilda said. I rolled my eyes at her. "Like I told you before, I have never and will never like any boy." I reminded her. "You can keep saying that but it doesn't mean it's true." She said. I scoffed.

"Wait!" Someone yelled from behind us. I recognized the voice. We both paused and turned around to see who it was. It was Two-Bit. He ran up to us and we started waking again. "Superman sent me out here to protect ya." He stated. "Superman?" Matilda questioned Two-Bit. "That's what we call Darry." Two-Bit stated. Matilda giggled. "Anyways, he wanted me to make sure nothin would happen to y'all." He said. Me and Matilda giggled. "What? Don't think I can do it?" Two-Bit asked jokingly. "Watch." He said. He took a switchblade out of his back pocket and flung it open. He got into a funny stance and started jabbing at the air. Me and Matilda began laughing. "See?" Two-Bit said putting the blade away. Me and Matilda giggled. "Yep." I said, still giggling.

Two-Bit sure was funny. I didn't know him very well but I could tell he was the type that could put a smile on your face in any situation. Sorta like Soda, except he probably made you smile in a different way, the funny way. Soda made you smile because of his charm and energy, Two-Bit made you smile with his jokes. He sure was fun, the whole walk to our house he put a smile on me and Matilda's faces. By watching him joke around I got to know him pretty well.

For about fifteen minutes we walked down the road until we made it to the tracks. We stepped over the tracks, leaving the north side. We walked another ten minutes or so until we got to our house. "Bye." We said to Two-Bit as we went through the door. "Bye." He waved.

The house was dark and silent. We saw Dad laying on the couch, sleeping with the television on. We slowly shut the front door before creeping up the stairs, making sure not to wake him up.

"Goodnight." I whispered to Matilda as I slowly opened my door. "Goodnight." Matilda whispered. "I had fun tonight." She stated. "Me too." I whispered, smiling. "Can we go over again tomorrow?" She asked quietly. I let out a quiet chuckle. "I'll call them and see." I whispered. She nodded her head. "Goodnight." She said quietly as she went through her door. "Goodnight." I whispered as I went into my room. We both slowly closed the doors.

I got ready for bed and quickly threw myself in bed. I laid on my stomach for awhile, running things through my head. Eventually I got up from bed and went to call the Curtises. I went to the door where my jacket was hanging. I dug into the pockets and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper that Soda had given me earlier in the night. I opened it up and saw the Curtises number written in messy handwriting. I went over to the phone I had in my room and dialed the number. It rang for awhile before someone picked it up.

"Hello?" It was Ponyboy. "Hey Pony. Matilda was wondering if we could come over again tomorrow." I said. "Yeah, I'm sure it'd be fine with Darry, especially if Matilda is asking." Pony joked. I giggled. "You can come over anytime you want." Pony said. "Thanks Pony." I said. "I'll see ya tomorrow then." I continued. "See ya tomorrow." Pony said. "Bye." I said. "Bye." Pony said. I hung up the phone.

After I hung up the phone I threw the piece of paper on my side table and turned off my lamp. I threw myself in bed and tried to go to sleep. I ran many thoughts through my head, I thought about how fun the night I had was. I thought about everyone, Pony, Soda, Steve, Two-Bit, Johnny, Dallas, and even Darrel. I thought of how much fun they all were. I figured out that even Darrel could be fun, especially around Matilda. "Just friends" she says. I wasn't really sure about that. I also thought about Dallas. Was Matilda right? Is there something there? I wasn't sure, I decided not to get into it too much. I ran many thoughts through my head before eventually falling asleep.