Chapter 68 - Good

After Dallas and Matilda woke up, the morning went on as usual. Johnny came into the house first, then Steve. Two-Bit hadn't come that morning because he was messing around somewhere, as usual. Darry and I put  a plate of eggs and berries together for Johnny. He scarfed it right up before, me, him, Pony, and Dally, headed out the door.

"Be home earlier this time!" Darry yelled as we all walked speedily down the stairs. "I know!" Both me and Pony shouted in response. The front door shut behind us as we opened the squeaky gate. I closed it behind everyone and ran to Pony's side.

We all walked down the dirt road with our hands shoved deep into our pockets. I gazed at my feet as I kicked around a pebble in front of me. A cigarette hung from my mouth as I walked in thought. I counted my steps as I heard the dirt grinding beneath my feet.

Both me and Pony walked silently as Dallas and Johnny chatted, a few strides ahead of us. We were heading into town to mess around, with intent of going to the drive in later in the night. We got to the shopping center quickly and headed inside of a drug store. A bell rang above us as we walked through the door. People gave us weird glances as we stood silently, looking around curiously. Dallas nudged Johnny along, and me and Pony followed close behind them.

We walked around, dodging objects and people. I looked to Dallas who was eyeing certain things as we passed by them, probably looking to steal something. He had always been looking for trouble, even if it hadn't been necessary. A year ago, I would've told him not too, even if I enjoyed the adrenaline rush it had given me. But now, I was different, I liked the trouble he caused and would occasionally join him. I wasn't a soc anymore, in fact, I was more a greaser than anything.

We made our to the counter where there was a worker, who looked to be in her mid thirties, with coarse brown hair and droopy green eyes. Behind her was a large supply of drinks, snacks, and ingredients to make milkshakes. We all leaned against the moderately clean counter as she looked to us. "Can we get some cokes?" Dally spoke in a tough voice. She nodded her head and went to grab a few bottles.

We waited silently for her as we all looked around curiously. Dallas turned to face the counter as he looked around. There was a couple packs of cigarettes sitting in a shelf on the corner of the counter. His eyes landed on the shelf and he quickly took a few steps towards it. I laughed to myself as he took a couple. Before he could get caught, the woman came back to us with a handful of coke bottles.

"Here ya go." She said grumpily as she slid them over to us. We all nodded in response as we opened the bottles. "Don't you hoods be going around doing anything stupid, now. Ya hear?" She spoke in a serious voice. We all looked to each other and let out loud laughs in response. She rolled her eyes at us as she sighed. "Stupid kids." She said under her breath. I could only laugh more as I heard her.

I tipped the bottle to my mouth and took a sip of the coke as we walked away from the counter. We walked around the store and eyed things like lighters, cigarette boxes, and beer, as we passed by them. "Hey!" A man shouted from the right. We all jerked our heads over to look at him. "Get outta hear ya no good greasers." He demanded sternly. "Come on." Dally muffled through his cigarette. He nudged us along as we began leaving the store. I looked back at Dallas and focused my eyes on his hand. Before we left, he grabbed a bottle of beer. I chuckled as we walked out the door.

We all laughed as we ran down the street. We slowed down after we made it a couple blocks away from the drug store. We all walked along the sidewalk, Johnny next to Pony, Pony next to Dallas, and Dallas next to me. "Here doll." Dallas spoke as he put the beer to my chest. I grabbed it from out his hands with a smile. "Thanks Dal." I thanked him as I popped open the bottle. He nodded his head as he brought his cigarette to his mouth. After he took a drag, he blew a cloud of smoke at me. I laughed as I playfully hit him in the shoulder.

"You're a real dick Dallas Winston." I joked before I took a swig of beer. He laughed as he slung his arm around me. I couldn't help but smile as his arm hung lazily around me. "I know". He stated, looking down at me. I laughed to myself as I looked at him with smile. After a bit, he looked away from me and looked ahead. I bit my lip as looked to the ground. I followed my feet with my eyes as I kicked a pebble in front of me.

I was happy. Heck I felt like Soda, I was smiling so much. It felt like everything bad in the world disappeared around us as we walked down the road. Everything in that moment was good.