Chapter 85 - Steal

It had been several days and there were no signs of me getting any better. My body still stung every time I'd make any subtle movements. My skin was still horrific looking, it had been peeling and stained with black. I assumed the peeling may have been a sign of healing but the doctors and nurses never clarified.

Dallas told me that the greasers won the rumble the night I was unconscious in the hospital. I was happy for them. He also told me that Johnny went to the trial and thankfully avoided jail by being proven innocent. I also heard that while Johnny ensured that he wouldn't end up like Dallas, Darry also gained custody of Soda and Pony, which I was ecstatic hearing of the news.

Soda told me that Darry was finally out of his room again and working with a smile. He came and visited me a few days before and made sure to tell me he was ok and that I didn't have to worry about him, but I still worried.

Everything seemed to be going back to normal, other than the fact that I was still laying stiff in a bright hospital room.

-

"At least my face and hair are fine." I muttered as I looked intently at my reflection in the handheld mirror that Dallas handed to me. Dallas gave out a deep sigh as he put his rough hand to my shoulder and caressed it gently. "You're still beautiful darlin'." He stated. I looked to him with a smile and then back to the mirror. I sighed as I took one more look at myself before setting the mirror to my side. "Thanks Dal." I said. He nodded his head as he slowly looked down to my lower half.

"Feelin' any better?" He asked, looking directly in my eyes with his sparkling brown ones. I gave out a small, sarcastic laugh as my head hung low. "Not really." I answered. "Still hurts a lot, specially when I move." I continued. He patted my shoulder softly in a reassuring way. "You're gonna ok. Alright?" He said, his eyes glazed with water. I forced a grin at his statement. "I don't know that for sure yet Dallas." I said. He gulped with sadness as he looked to the ground with disappointment.

"Why did ya have to save those damn kids?" He asked with a sarcastic, almost angry chuckle. "They're kids Dallas, imagine being one of 'em. You'd wanna be saved, wouldn't you?" I explained. He merely clenched his fist and slammed it hard against the ground in an act of rising anger. "Dallas!" I exclaimed, more worried than anything. "You know, you're a kid to y/n!" He yelled as he shot up from his crouching position. "Dallas." I said as I grabbed his arm. He immediately pulled away and ran off. I sighed as my eyes filled with tears. My body felt painful as I laid my head to the pillow and fell asleep.

third person pov~

Dallas ran and ran, tears or rage and sadness building up in his eyes. He didn't know where  to go or what to do, he only knew that he was enraged and sad and that he couldn't take it. His feet slammed heavily against the pavement as he rushed down the road, his shoelaces clacked loudly on the asphalt and his breathing was rapid. His eyes grew more watery with every echoing step he took, his emotions grew more intense with every passing second.

It had been like the other time y/n was in the hospital, he was mad, worried, and dejected. Just like the last time, he couldn't handle it. He couldn't handle seeing one of the only people he loved laying still and hurt in a hospital bed. He couldn't handle the fact that she even went into that fire, that Johnny and Pony went in that fire. "Just to save some kids?" He thought. He told himself she would get better, but deep down he knew she wouldn't. She was in the hospital for weeks with no signs of her healing. He couldn't handle it.

"Dallas?" Ponyboy asked with confusion as he watched Dallas quickly run by. "What's he  doing?" Johnny asked as he followed Dallas with his eyes. "I don't know." Pony answered, clueless. They began following behind him slowly, ensuring that he wouldn't see them.

He ran for many blocks before reaching a small store which is where he decided to stop. The lights shined brightly through the windows and illuminated the nearby road and sidewalk. Dallas quickly rushed to the door and went inside. The cashier looked to Dallas with a questioning and suspicious face as he walked slowly to a magazine filled shelf. He watched Dallas closely as he examined the magazines with intent of doing something bad. The cashier grew more suspicious as Dallas began punching the magazines with anger.

"You gonna buy one of those kid?" The man asked. Dallas merely continued punching the magazine before picking it up and ripping it in half. "Hey, ya gotta pay for that!" The man yelled at the sight. Dallas, ignoring the man, slowly walked over to him.

"Whats he doing?" Johnny, who was with Pony outside of the store, asked as he watched Dallas through the window. "Shh." Pony silenced him.

Dallas, now reaching into his back pocket where his empty gun was, came to the mans front. "You gonna pay for that kid?" The man asked demandingly. As tears streamed down Dallas's face he pulled out his gun and pointed it to the man's face. Johnny and Pony both went wide eyes at the sight and stood still as they watched Dallas closely.

The cashier put his hands up in defense. "Please don't shoot." He muttered. "God please don't shoot." He continued. "Give me the money." Dallas ordered as he gestured to the cash register. "Give me the money!" He yelled before the cashier could do anything. The man, wide eyed, shuffled hurriedly through the cash register and grabbed what money had been in there. "I'm sick of you hoods." He mumbled quietly. "Take the money and get outta here." He finished as he handed him the cash.

Dallas quickly ran out of the store with the money and gun in hand. Pony and Johnny with confused and scared looks on their faces his behind the wall in the corner of the store before Dallas could see them. When Dallas went out of sight Johnny ran quickly behind him while Pony ran for the hospital in an attempt to tell y/n what had happened.