Chapter 16 - Friends

Me, Soda, and Pony were all sitting on the floor of the living room talking. I got to know them a lot better. Soda was real nice, he seemed to really care for his brothers. Ponyboy seemed real interested in books and what not. Not surprised. He also didn't seem to like Darrel, his older brother, much. I liked em both a lot though. They sure were nice, and I also just felt natural around them. I didn't have to be fake around them, which I liked. I wished I could stay in that moment forever.

"What do you guys usually do during the day?" I asked, looking at both of them. "Nothin really, usually the gang just comes over and we hang out for awhile." Pony said. I nodded my head. "We also eat chocolate cake and drink beer." Soda said, chuckling. I giggled. "That's mostly Steve." Pony said. We all had a laugh.

"What does Darrel do?" I asked. "Usually he just sits and watches over us, that's only  on the weekends though. During the week he works a lot." Soda said. I nodded my head. "Don't you also work Soda? Most of the girls at school always say they stop at the DX just to see you." I said. Both Pony and Soda laughed as I joined. "Yep." Soda said. "You must be annoyed by all the girls." I said. Soda chuckled. "Sometimes, but I'm flattered." Soda said. I giggled.

"So what time does the gang usually come over?" I asked. "They just stop by whenever they want, but they usually come around lunch time." Pony said. I nodded my head. "You guys all seem pretty close." I said. "Yeah we are." Pony stated.

After awhile of taking to Pony and Soda I got up from the ground. "I should probably get going, I don't wanna intrude any more than I already have." I said. "Stay." Soda said. "I don't know, you guys have already done a lot for me." I said. "It's fine y/n, stay." Pony said. "Well if ya want me to." I said sitting back down. We began talking again for awhile.

After a couple minutes I heard the door slam open. "Hey Two-Bit." Soda said. He lifted off the ground and walked over towards him. "Ya got anymore cake?" Two-Bit asked Soda. "Yep, in the fridge." Soda said. "What's y/n doin here?" Two-Bit asked. "She stayed here last night." Pony piped. "Y'all are getting pretty close huh?" Two-Bit said smirking. "Not like that Two-Bit." Soda said rolling his eyes. Two-Bit chuckled before going into the kitchen. "Hey Superman." I heard. Superman? Wonder what that's about. "That's what they all call Darry." Pony said. It's almost as if he had read my mind. I giggled. "Makes sense." I said. Both Soda and Pony nodded.

A few more minutes went by before Two-Bit came back with a whole chocolate cake. "You eat that every day?" I asked, concerned. Two-Bit chuckled. "It's what I live on. This and beer." Two-Bit stated. I giggled. "I don't know how you're not dead yet." I said. "I don't either." Two-Bit said. All of us had a laugh. Soon our laughter was cut off by a knock on the door.

Ponyboy got off the ground and walked towards the door. He swung it open to reveal Johnny Cade. "Hey Johnny." Pony said letting him in. Johnny was looking around the room and his eyes landed on me. As soon as he saw me he seemed nervous. Ponyboy must've seen how pale he was because soon after he comforted him. Johnny slowly walked towards the couch and sat down. "Johnny right?" I asked. I tried to be polite. "Yeah..." Johnny trailed off. I got off the ground and sat next to him. "I didn't get to know you very well the other night." I said. "The names y/n." I continued. He nodded his head. "I like your jacket." I said looking at his jacket. "Thanks." He said quietly. He seemed to be getting more comfortable around me. I felt bad for him, I didn't want him to be afraid of me either. Soon Ponyboy came and sat next to us. He started a conversation with Johnny. I sat quietly as I examined the room to pass the time.

"I'm gonna go out on the porch." I said to Ponyboy. "Alright, just be careful." Pony said. "Will do." I said. I got up off of the couch and walked over to the door. I swung it open and went outside. I went over to the steps that led up to the porch and sat down. I put my elbows to my knees and rested my head on my hands. I sighed as I looked around the area. It felt so right. I didn't feel very out of place on the north side, I felt like I got right in. I also felt that I was starting to become friends with the Curtis gang. They sure were nice. I hope I get to know all of them better, I really want to be their friend.

I was sitting for awhile gazing at the sky. It was really blue and there were no clouds in the sky. My peace was broken after a little bit. "Didn't expect you to be here darlin." Dallas. Damn Dallas. "What do you want now Dallas." I asked as he sat next to me. "What are you doing here?" He asked. "Can I not be here or something?" I asked looking towards him. "Just wondering why you're here. Shouldn't you be with all your soc friends?" He asked. I rolled my eyes. "I don't have many friends over there." I said. "That's unexpected." Dallas said. "Why is that?" I asked turning back towards the sky. "You just seem like you'd be popular I guess." Dallas said.

For awhile we just sat silent. "Can I have a cigarette?" I asked turning towards Dallas. "You sure doll?" He asked. "Just give one to me alright." I said. He grabbed a box of cigarettes out of his jacket. He flipped open the box and grabbed two cigarettes from it. He lit one and handed it to me. Then he lit the second one and brought it to his lips. I brought the cigarette to my mouth and took a drag. I slowly blew out a puff of smoke. "Thanks." I said. "Yep." Dallas said. "You like smoking now huh?" Dallas asked turning towards me. "I guess you could say that." I said.

We sat in silence smoking away. It felt nice. "You had fun the other night huh?" Dallas asked breaking the silence. "I don't know, I can't remember." I stated. Dallas chuckled as I joined along. "I think you did." Dallas said. "Really? What happened?" I asked turning towards Dallas. Dallas thought for a moment.

"We talked a lot and played pool then we went to bed." He said. "You fell A LOT." He continued, emphasizing "a lot". I giggled. "That much huh?" I asked. He chuckled. "Yep." He said turning towards me.  "You also laughed the whole time. Never have I seen someone laugh that much." He said smiling. I chuckled. "Sorry you had to deal with all that." I said turning towards him. He turned away from me. "It was fun doll." He said bringing the cigarette to his mouth. He took a drag then turned towards me. He blew a puff of smoke in my face. "You're such a dick!" I yelled, giggling. I waved the smoke out of my face. He laughed at me.

"I know. You don't have to keep reminding me." He said. I giggled.