Chapter 22 - Spitballs

Me and Pony talked for awhile about random things. Dallas seemed off the whole way to the dingo. He hadn't been talking or joining in on the conversation, usually when I'm with him he talks a lot. I might be wrong though because that's when it's only me and him not with other people. I decided not to think about it too much.

"What kind of milkshake do you guys usually get?" I asked as we got closer to the dingo. "I usually get vanilla." Ponyboy answered. I nodded my head. "How about you Dallas?" I asked, turning towards Dallas. "Huh?" He asked. He was probably drifted off into thought or something when I asked the question. "What kind of milkshake do you usually get?" I asked again. "Oh, I like chocolate." He answered. "I like chocolate too." I said. He nodded his head as he went back to smoking.

"Are you okay Dallas?" I asked, concerned. "Yeah I'm fine. Why?" He asked, confused. "You just seem a bit off." I said. For a minute we all stayed in silent as we walked. Then after a moment I went right back to talking to Pony.

After a little while we arrived at the dingo. Ponyboy swung the door open and went inside as me and Dallas followed. The place looked like a classic diner. There were pictures of celebrities on the wall and small jukeboxes at every booth, your average diner. This diner however was a bit more run down than others I had been to. I guess everything on the north side is just a bit different than on the south side.

Ponyboy led us to an open booth and we all sat down. I was sat next to Pony on one side of the booth and Dallas was on the other side alone. I kind of felt bad for him, he seemed a bit left out. He was smoking a cigarette at the table. I sat up and leaned my arms on the table. "Are you aloud to smoke in here?" I asked Dallas. "Huh?" Dallas snapped out of his thoughts. "Are you aloud to smoke in here?" I asked. "Of course not doll." He said. I playfully rolled my eyes at him. "What if one of the workers see you?" I asked. "We'll be fine." He stated. "I thought you could cause trouble." He reminded me. I sat back against the seat and crossed my arms.

Every opportunity I had to prove Dallas wrong about me being a stuck up soc, I took. So of course because of this I sat back and dealt with the fact that Dallas was smoking. He chuckled as he went back to smoking. God I hate Dallas sometimes. "I hate you sometimes. Ya know that?" I stated. He chuckled. "I already know doll." He answered. I scoffed at his remark.

Soon enough a waitress came to our booth to take our orders. She looked to be in her early twenties, about my sisters age. She was black and had brown poofy hair and sparkling green eyes. She sure was pretty. 

"What can I get y'all?" She asked politely. "I'll take a vanilla shake." Ponyboy answered. "I'll get a chocolate shake." Dallas spoke. She wrote down both orders before looking towards me. "Anything for you dear?" She asked politely. "I'll have the same as him." I said pointing at Dallas. She wrote down my order. "I'll get that right away." She said as she walked off.

"Thanks for suggesting this place Pony." I thanked Ponyboy. "No problem." Ponyboy said. "And you Dallas, thanks for making me skip school." I thanked Dallas. He nodded his head.

"You guys wanna blow spit balls at people?" Dallas asked as he leaned his arms on the table. "Spit balls? What are you twelve?" I joked. He rolled his eyes. "It'll be fun." Dallas said. "I'll do it." Ponyboy spoke up. "Fine, I guess I'll do it." I said, crossing my arms. "But if we get in trouble, I was never apart of this." I stated. Dallas chuckled. "Fine." He said.

Dallas grabbed a couple straws from a tin at the side of the table. He unwrapped them and set the straws to the side. He then took the paper from the straws and tore them into small square shaped pieces. He handed both me and Pony a roughly equal amount of squares. Pony shoved a square in his mouth and took a sip of water. He took the piece out and rolled into a ball then loaded it in one of the straws. Then Dallas did the same.

"You gonna do it doll?" Dallas asked turning towards me. I immediately grabbed a piece of paper and shoved it in my mouth. I took a swig of water and swished the paper around in my mouth. I grabbed the wet square out of my mouth and started rolling it into a small ball. I took one of the straws from the side of Dallas and loaded it with the ball.

Ponyboy aimed his straw towards a man at the bar and shot at him. It hit the man's back and he turned around in confusion. Ponyboy looked away smiling and started making another ball. Dallas also shot at the same man. The man looked around in confusion as Dallas prepared another ball. "You're turn y/n." Pony said. I aimed my straw to the bar and did my best to face it towards the man. I took a breath and put my mouth to one end of the straw. I blew hard as the ball flew through the straw and out the other end. It flew towards the man. He turned around right before the ball got to him and it ended up hitting his face.

I covered my mouth trying to hide my laughter. Ponyboy and Dallas chuckled as the man sat up from his chair and stomped towards us. He looked to be in his mid forties. He had grayish-brown hair and green eyes. He liked like your average middle aged man. "What the hell is wrong with you?!" The man yelled. I couldn't hold in my laughter any longer. My hand fell from my mouth to the table and I laughed out loud. Everyone stared at us as we all laughed.

"Is there a problem over here sir?" The same waitress that took our orders came over to or table. "Yeah, these idiot kids are blowing spit balls at me!" The man yelled. "And they're mocking me." The man said madly. "Is this true?" The waitress asked. "No, we were just hanging out." Dallas lied. "That's not true!" The man yelled. "Sir I'm going to have to ask you to calms down." The waitress said. "But..." The man was cut off. "Please sir." The waitress spoke up. He scoffed. "Stupid delinquents." I head him say under his breath as he walked away.  "I'm sorry about that." The waitress said. She walked off.

"You're right, that was fun." I said smiling at Dallas. "Told ya." Dallas said as he propped his legs up on the table. He brought his cigarette to his mouth and started smoking again as I went back to talking to Ponyboy.