Chapter 40 - Birthday

This chapter takes place a few weeks after the last chapter.

I jumped up from my bed as I woke up, remembering what day it was. I barged into Matilda's room as she slowly got up from under her blankets. "What?" She asked tiredly. "Do you know what day it is?" I asked happily. "Saturday?" She asked, confused. I rolled my eyes at her. "Guess again." I demanded excitedly. "Sunday?" She asked. I sighed. "It's my birthday!" I yelled. Her eyes widened. "You're seventeen!" She yelled as she hoped out of bed. "Mhmm." I said as I nodded my head.

"We'll go get dressed!" She yelled as she shooed me into the hall. I chuckled as I ran over to my room. I grabbed a pair of jeans from my dresser and a light green blouse. I went to my closet and grabbed a dirty pair of combat boots and threw them on before dashing out the door. I quickly brushed my teeth and combed my hair before sprinting down the stairs. I flew out the door with my jacket in hand and hopped into the car. Matilda came out hurriedly and got in the drivers seat before drifting off.

"Why are you so excited?" Matilda asked as she giggled. "It's my first birthday with the gang." I said quickly. "Well calm down, you're shaking." She demanded. I chuckled before looking to my hands. They shook in excitement. I was pretty excited, more excited than I was during most of my birthdays. I wanted to have a big celebration with the gang, I was excited. "I barely got my shirt on too." Matilda mentioned. I playfully rolled my eyes at her and laughed.

We drove for a while before arriving at the Curtis house. I bursted out the car door as Matilda giggled at me. I rushed through the door and looked around. "You're here early." Pony said as he looked up from the book he was reading. "It's my birthday." I said excitedly. His eyes lit up. "Oh yeah." He remembered. "I got you a present a couple weeks ago." He said as I sat down on the couch next to him. I smiled at him and he smiled back as Matilda came through the door.

"Y/n? Matilda?" Soda asked as he came out of his room. "What are you doing here so early?" He asked. "It's Y/n's birthday." Pony spoke. His eyes widened. "That's great!" He yelled as he ran up to me. "You're seventeen right?" He asked excitedly. I giggled. "Yep." I answered as I nodded my head. A wide smile grew on his face in excitement.

We sat for awhile and talked in the living room. With every hour a single member of the gang came in. First Steve came in, then Two-Bit, then Johnny, and then Finally Dallas. I told them all that it as my birthday, everyone got excited, except of course Dally, who seemed to not care much, as usual. All he did was shrug and walk to the corner of the room to smoke. I didn't care much that he ignored the fact that it was my birthday, he was like that. He probably didn't get me a present either, which didn't bother me either.

After a bit of talking we all sat in the middle of the living room so I could open my presents. First Two-Bit handed me a present. I opened the wrapped box to reveal his leather jacket. "You're giving me your jacket?" I asked, surprised. He nodded his head. "Just take good care of it." He said with a smile on his face. "Will do. I'll make sure to wear it everyday too." I said. He smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Open mine next." Soda slid a small box over to me. It was poorly wrapped with a note taped onto it. I giggled a little before unwrapping it and placing the note to the side. I opened up the small box to reveal a small gold necklace with a small pearl hanging from it. I smiled at it in admiration. "Do you like it?" Soda asked. "Of course. Thanks." I said. I picked up the note from the ground and unraveled it. In poor hand writing it said,

"Happy birthday Y/n! Thanks for being my friend, you're pretty great. Thanks for also being like the kid sister that I never had.

Sodapop."

"That's real sweet of you Soda." I said as I smiled at him. He grinned. "Mine next." Pony handed over a nicely wrapped present. I slowly opened it up, ensuring that I didn't mess up the nice wrapping paper. I slowly began revealing a book, "To Kill a Mockingbird". It was my favorite. I looked up to Pony and smiled. "This is my favorite book." I said as I admired it. "You told me awhile ago." He mentioned. "Thanks Pony." I said. "Yep." He said back. I gently set the book to my side as Darry slid over a nicely wrapped present.

I slowly opened the gift Darry slid over to me. I held up his gift in front of me. "I didn't really know what to get you." He said, rubbing his neck. He got me a nice green sweater. I smiled. "I love it Darry." I said as I set it to the side. I knew he didn't know me well and I didn't know him well so I didn't expect to much from him. I did enjoy the sweater though.

Johnny nervously handed me a small box. I opened gently to reveal a small flower. I smiled as I admired it. It was a dandelion, small and beautiful. "It's small sorry." Johnny said. I looked up to him as my smile faded. "I thought you liked flowers a lot so I picked that one for you." He continued. I smiled. "I love it." I said as I looked back to the flower. He gave me a quick grin then looked down and picked at his hands. I knew the flower wasn't much but I loved it. I loved that he knew I liked flowers, or that he even made the effort to pick one out for me.

"Here." Steve handed me a piece of cake from his plate. I chuckled as I smiled at him. "Thanks Steve." I said with a laugh in my voice. Soda, who was sitting next to him, smacked him in the arm. "It's alright Soda, I love chocolate cake". I mentioned as I smiled. He rolled his eyes at Steve. "You're welcome." Steve said. I giggled.

Everyone looked over to Dallas who was playing with his ring. I rolled my eyes at him as he stared up from his hand. "Why's everyone looking at me like that?" He asked, clueless. I chuckled. "Did you get a present for me?" I asked. "Oh yeah." He said as he dug in his pocket. "Here." He threw me a pack of cigarettes. I sighed as I looked up to him. He nodded. "You forgot. Didn't you?" I asked. "No, that's your present." He said, gesturing towards the box. I flipped open the box to reveal two cigarettes. I laughed to myself as I looked up to Dallas. "Two cigarettes?" I asked. "Mhm." He nodded. "You're a real dick Dallas." I said jokingly. "I know". He said back. As I had expected, he never got me anything.

"Thanks... I guess." I said. "No problem." He said.