Chapter 9

"I need to stop at the fraternity house to shower and change. I smell."

"A little yes."

The car ride was silent, the college radio station blaring.

"And now we're going to play some songs written by our own students! Here's Zayn Kennedy's Little Things!"

"I play guitar on this song." Yeji informed me.

I arched my eyebrows and Yeji turned up the volume just as we got to the house.

"There's no one here. Everyone was at the concert and then went to the nearest pub."

"Oh."

"I know you never loved the wrinkles in your eyes when you smiled. your eyes when you smiled; never loved the stomach or your-"

Zayn's angelic voice was abruptly interrupted and we got out of the car.

He probably wrote the crinkly part about James, how cute is that.

Yeji grabbed some clothes from her room and then went to the shower and I turned on the stereo that was on her dresser and tuned in the college radio. Zayn's song was ending and someone else's song came on. The song had just ended when Yeji came into the room half dressed and her hair wet.

"And now we have the famous Hwang Yeji with her amazing song Hey There-"

"It's not that good, no-"

"Shh! I want to hear you sing!" I smiled and she bit her lip, a worried expression on her face as she stood in the doorframe.

Guitar chords came on and I smiled, crossing my legs under me on the bed, looking at the stereo.

"Hey, Shin, how's New York City?"

My heart froze and my head snapped up.

MY FUCKING LAST NAME?

"I'm a thousand miles away, but girl, you look so pretty tonight. If you can Times Square can't shine as bright as you. I swear it's true."

I turned to look at Yeji, who apparently found the floor really fascinating. There was no way the song was about me, was it?

"Hey there, Shin... Don't worry about the distance. I'm right there if you feel lonely, give this song another listen, close your eyes. Listen to my voice is my disguise. I'm right beside you."

My heart was beating extremely fast as the song progressed, and I put a hand to my mouth because I was in shock.

"Oh, it's what you do to me
Oh, it's what you do to me
What you do to me
Hey, Shin... I know times are getting tough. But just trust me, girl. Someday I'll pay the bills with this guitar."

That was the moment I started crying silently because it was the best thing anyone ever did for me.

"We'll have it right. We'll have the life we knew we'd have... My word is good.
Hey there, Shin... I have so much left to say. If every single song I wrote to you would take your breath away, I'd write it all... Even more in love with me you'd fall in love. We'd have it all...
Oh, it's what you do to me
A thousand miles seems far enough away, but they've got planes, trains and cars. I'd walk to you if I had no other way.
All our friends would make fun of us and we'd laugh because we know none of them have ever felt this way. Shin, I can promise you, by the time we're done the world will never be the same. And you are to blame
Hey there, Shin...
Be good and don't miss me. Two more years and you'll be done with school and I'll do history like I do. You'll know it's all thanks to you... We can do whatever we want
Hey there, Shin... Here's for you. This is for you...
Oh, it's what you do to me
Oh, it's what you do to me..."