Chapter 15

I spent the next day practicing and didn't get to talk to Yeji until the day of the game, just before it started.

Apparently there was a ritual where the coaches would gather both the cheerleading squad and the soccer team together to say a few words of encouragement. They seemed to find the speech "I want you to go out there and play like you've never played before, like you're about to rip their balls off and eat them. Do that if you need to prove a point, do what you want, but win the fucking cup." Very encouraging, because they cheered and screamed like they were a bunch of wild animals.

Someone came into the locker room and announced that it was five minutes until the game started, and I was surprised when all the cheerleaders came up to Yeji and kissed her on the cheeks at the same time.

Maddie gave me a look that I didn't quite understand, before all the cheerleaders walked out of the locker room onto the field to perform a little routine.

I was about to follow them, but someone grabbed my arm and pulled me.

It was Yeji.

"Yeji, I have to go. And you should get ready too." I said, pointing to the guys who were tying their shoes and doing last minute stretches.

"Where's my good luck kiss?"

"You just got about ten of them."

"Yeah, but not from my favorite cheerleader" She said, flashing her annoying dimple.

I rolled my eyes and stood on my tiptoes, then kissed her cheek. She smelled like a really good cologne.

"Not there." she continued and I smiled, shaking my head.

"Maybe if you win the game..." I stopped and she looked at me, surprised. I walked away. but not before she smacked my ass, like she used to do.

I smiled to myself as I quickly tousled my pom-poms and trotted over to the other cheerleaders lined up on the field.

The stadium was packed, taking me by surprise. I hadn't expected so many people to show up for a simple college final.

After our routine, they started announcing the players and, of course, Yeji got the most cheers and screams when she came out.

It was 2-2 at halftime, and also the first minute of the second half, when a boy from the opposing team scored.

And then Yeji scored in the last minute, which made everyone go crazy. The goal led to penalty kicks and the opposing team went up first as they scored the first goal of the game.

They picked the guy from last night, the guy on the bridge. When he missed the goal, our team picked Yeji, who walked up to the ball and gave me a quick glance, lining up.

She bit her lip and seemed to be thinking about something, before she suddenly closed the distance between her and the ball, kicking it.

It went straight into the net. For a moment, there was silence, before everyone started shouting and people stood up. The whole team ran towards her and Yeji jumped on top of them, raising her fist in the air and shouting.

The coach grabbed the cup from the table and lifted it up as con-fetti started falling from the sky. They then lifted Yeji onto Bryan and Zayn's shoulders and carried her, still excited with victory, towards the coach who rushed over to them, along with the other adults on the team.

When we got to the locker room, it was even worse. Josh opened a bottle of champagne, and the liquid was now flying all over the room, spraying everyone and everything in sight. And not wanting to get sticky liquid in my hair, I sat on a bench away from the crowd and waited until everyone decided to go to the bar across the street and celebrate.