Chapter 35

Yeji

"I'm not going to do anything... I just like to touch you. I like to feel you close. You make me feel so ...weird." I told her as I ran my hand across her stomach.

And by weird I mean in love and scared.

I pulled away from her and patted the back of her thigh to let her know she could now hug me.

I couldn't hold back a smile as she dug her nose into my neck, tickling me a little.

There was something wrong with her, something was wrong because she kept rubbing circles on my arm, and she only did it when she had something on her mind and wanted to relax.

"Are you okay?" I whispered.

"What, yeah. Why?"

"Because you've been drawing shapes on my skin for a while and that means you can't sleep because there's something keeping you awake."

"It's nothing."

"I thought you were tired."

"I am."

I wondered if there was a double meaning behind her words.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"It's not because of what your mother said, is it?" I asked, dreading the answer.

The first time her mother insulted her because of her appearance, made me so angry, because how dare she call Ryu anything other than perfect?

Then I rolled my eyes because I realized I would become silly.

The second time she called Ryu out for eating too much, I wasn't mad.
I was scared because I knew that even though Ryujin seemed pretty confident, she still had some insecurities, the main ones being her height, her breasts and her weight.

"No, fuck her."

Her voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"I'd rather not." I said. "Seriously, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, Yeji. Please."

"Please what."

She remained silent, closing her eyes.

"I'm going to sleep now."

I sighed.

I started playing with her hair, as she seemed to fall asleep. I stared at the ceiling for a while, thinking about how she must have felt tonight when all eyes were on her as her mother called her weight.

I hope she doesn't believe anything her mother says.

There's no way she's going to relapse, is there?

I heard her swallow saliva softly, meaning she was still awake.

"Ryu?" I whispered but she didn't move. She was probably asleep.

"Are you awake baby?"

She didn't answer.

I squeezed her shoulder, still playing with her hair.

I saw her frown, which meant she was having a bad dream and all I wanted to do was turn her nightmares into dreams, her insecurities into confidence and her bad days into good ones.

I just wanted to make her happy
I wanted to make her happy, because she made me happy. She helped me stop self-harming, I had been clean for almost a month and hadn't smoked in almost two months. All thanks to her.

I ran my fingers up and down the soft skin of her arm. She was so warm and fit so perfectly in my arms that it made me think she was meant for me.

But there was still a question in my head, a question whose answer I was so afraid of.