Chapter 18

"I think Niki is Yeji's son." I told Chaeryeong a day later, when we went out shopping for gifts, with Maddie and Yuna.

"What?" She asked and turned around to look at me.

I made sure no one else could hear us and pretended to look at a pair of shoes while talking to her.

"I did the math, and the last time Yeji saw her was in March, when they had sex. Then she leaves a few months later and gives birth to Niki in December, which is nine months after they had sex with her. And Irene has natural blonde hair, just like Yeji's father. Niki has brown hair."

"Maybe it's a coincidence." Chaeryeong said and I looked at her.

"I looked it up and there's little chance the baby has any other hair color than the parents."

"Then tell Yeji to do a DNA test."

"I don't think she likes that idea very much" I said.

"Do you think she'll like these sunglasses?" Chaeryeong asked, trying to change the subject.

I shrugged and she added them to her cart. crossing Yeji off the list.

I had been informed that every Christmas some of the fraternity guys and sorority girls exchange gifts.

Plus a couple of other people like James, Ning, Ryan, Chaeryeong, Ashleigh and Maddie. Yuna told me about it (since it was her idea three years ago) and I agreed.

And I was stupid, because I was about to spend my last seven hundred dollars on gifts.

I wanted to buy something for: Chaeryeong, Yuna, Maddie, Ning, James, Zayn, Josh, Jake, Yeji, Niki even and Justin.

The girls chose their own gifts, and for the boys I bought different video games (I knew exactly who wanted what), except for Niki. I bought him one of those remote control helicopters.

"Are we done then?" I asked them as we walked out of the video game store.

"I think you should get Yeji another gift." Yuna said, pointing to the lingerie store. "I know I'm going to give Ning something extra."

I shook my head because I literally had 25 cents left.

Yuna ended up buying sexy lingerie and god knows what else, before Chaeryeong hailed a cab and we could finally go home.

It was a couple of hours before the Christmas party. Which meant the other girls spent hours in front of the mirror and I took a nap.

When Chaeryeong woke me up, I took a shower and put on my makeup before getting dressed.

"You're going to freeze to death." Chaeryeong told me as we walked to the fraternity house.

"All the girls are going to wear skirts and dresses anyway, so I'm good."

She shrugged as I tried to balance all the gifts in my arms. It was snowing lightly, as it had been last week, but no real, steady snow.

We got to the house and I knocked on the door with my foot because neither of us had hands available.

Justin opened the door with a dimpled smile and a Santa Claus hat over his blond curls.

"Hi." he smiled and helped me with the presents.

We walked together into the kitchen and I smiled as I smelled the gingerbread scent in the air.

"Who stole the gingerbread?" I asked as I reached the kitchen, waving left and right.

"Haha." Josh said sarcastically from the stove as he pulled out a tray full of freshly baked gingerbread men.

"What's this?" I smiled, pointing to his apron.