Chapter 20

It took me over half an hour to get to the mansion, and I was about to ring the doorbell when I saw Yeji and Niki in the park across the street. She was leaning on a slide while Niki was making snow angels.

I marched over and snuck up behind Yeji, pushing her into the snow.

"What the-." She said and rolled onto her back. She smiled when she saw me, running her tongue over her lip ring.

"Don't you have a phone?" I asked.

"I like the fact that you never wear a hat and risk catching a cold, but you always wear this bow in your hair like you're three years old."

I kicked snow in her face and she grabbed my leg, pulling it, which made me fall on my ass in the snow next to her waist.

"You're an idiot."

"Idiot!" Niki yelled and suddenly threw herself on Yeji's torso, making her pretend to be hurt.

"Now you're teaching little kids how to swear, good job, Ryu."

"Ryu!" Niki exclaimed and quickly stood up, before walking over to me and hugging my neck.

"Hi." I smiled, inhaling his amazing baby scent.

"Why are you here?" Yeji asked, pulling Niki to her by the hem of his cute pants.

"Did you break Mr. Grey's car?" Niki plopped down on his ass in the snow, looking up at us. "Did you?" I asked again, getting angry.

"He deserved it."

"Yeji, you could be arrested... Did you know the police are looking for you?!"

"I couldn't care less." She muttered and started drawing circles in the snow.

"It really wasn't necessary, you know."

"I know."

"What happened?" Niki asked and Yeji shook her head.

"Nothing bro, go play somewhere else, I need to talk to Ryu."

"I love Ryu!" Niki said before running off towards the swings.

Yeji got up and walked over to me.

"Are you missing the lectures because of me?"

"Um-maybe. But still-"

"I can't tell if you're doing it because you're actually bored with school or because you were really worried."

"Both."

Then she reached out and picked me up. I dusted the snow off my clothes and Yeji went to look for Niki. She found him talking to a girl who was giggling herself silly while her mother sat on a nearby bench.

"He'll be a heartbreaker when he grows up."

"Just like you."

"Yeah. Why are you making that face?"

"What face?"

"Like you really want to tell me something, but you're afraid I'll get mad."

"Oh."

"Well?"

"Okay. Listen to me before you interrupt. Just listen."

She nodded her head, turning her whole body toward me, hands in her pockets.

"I think Niki might be your son."

Yeji's eyebrows furrowed and I held up a hand to silence her, in case she was getting ready to say something or laugh at my face.

"Because he really looks like you, he has the same habits and he has brown hair, unlike your dad and Irene. At first I thought her hair was dyed dirty blonde but then I realized it wasn't really-"