Chapter 1

I awoke at Aurora Academy, the orphanage I'd been at for as long as I could remember. The school bells chimed their usual tone in the distance. The dorm seemed to be restless which seemed strange seeing as none of us were morning people. I looked around confused by the predicament when I noticed the calendar...

"I'm guessing you forgot?" Said May, my bunkmate, as she hung her head from her bed.

"What gave it away?" I say with a slight giggle and a raised brow.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe the way your eyes widened at the calendar," May said with the same amount of playfulness in her voice.

"I can't believe we're finally allowed to go! It feels so exciting!!!" I say unable to contain my excitement.

"Oh, come on Y/N! You don't even have a plan on what to do. You didn't even know it was today till 5 minutes ago." May said a little too confidently.

I wanted to say otherwise and break the smirk that formed on her lips but if I was being honest, she was right...

"I'll take the silence as a yes then?" May said still smirking wide as ever.

"Oh, shut it, will ya? I don't need a plan. I mean, when have I ever had a plan?" I said pouting ever so slightly.

May cackled at my expression and proceeded to go and find her friend group to discuss their plans. May and I weren't friends but we weren't enemies I suppose you could call us acquaintances.

I was genuinely disappointed. I can't believe I'd forgotten that today would be the fair...

The fair was something I'd been excited to go to since, well, since forever. Last year was meant to be our first time but it was cancelled cuz the older students caused some issues.

The fair was an event that took place once every year. It was a day meant for fun. It came about two days before the graduating students' graduation ceremony. We did this so that everyone got a chance to enjoy a bit before they leave for who knows how long.

On a fair day, students are allowed off campus without supervision. Only kids from the ages of 10 and above can go. At about 6:00 pm the students return to campus where we have a fair that all ages can attend.

I always thought that I would have so much planned for the day, but guess not...

The second bell chimed which signaled we could come down to have breakfast now. I walked downstairs to the cafeteria and had breakfast. We had pancakes, but not even that lightened my mood.

I got back to my dorm and looked out the window, then back to my room and sighed. I may not have planned something for today but I've come to terms with it. I can still enjoy it a lot. I've never left Aurora meaning I can't possibly be bored out there. It may not be as fun as a ride in a theme park but it was sure to be new. I could walk around and discover the city maybe I could even have some street food. It was a really pretty autumn day, anyway. If the worst came true and I had the worst time of my life I'd still be able to have fun at the fair later on.

I got dressed in warm clothes. I brought my bag and stuffed it with a few essentials aka loads of snacks, all my pocket money, water, and a spare cassette. As I head for the door I grab my Walkman and my coat. Slowly as I head for the exit I suddenly get emotional, I feel like I'm leaving forever but I'm not. Im only leaving for a few hours. My guts feel wrenched and I feel like I'm going to cry but not truly. My eyes are dry but feel like tears are pent up. My throat is dry and my voice is squeaky. I don't feel sad, I feel excited and kinda scared but not really. It feels like I might explode but in a happy way.