Chapter 14

The door swung open at once.

McGonagall, in emerald-green robes, stood there.

She held her usual stern face.

If I hadn't known any better I would've thought she was someone to fear.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She responded.

She pulled the door wide.

The entrance hall was huge, almost three times what Aurora's entrance hall was.

The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing us led to the upper floors.

It was beautiful.

We followed McGonagall across the flagged stone floor.

I could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right.

By the looks of it, the rest of the school must already be here.

I thought we'd enter that room but McGonagall lead us into a small, empty chamber off the hall.

We crowded in, standing closer together than we would usually have done.

I looked across the crowd and almost everyone was nervous.

I thought to myself if I did too but if I were honest I didn't care.

I had no feelings except for happiness, excitement and wonder.

This place just felt so magical.

It was ridiculous how unexpected this was to me.

I turn back to McGonagall just as she spoke, "Welcome to Hogwarts!"

"The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the great hall, you will be sorted into your houses.
The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts.
You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room." she said proudly.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.
Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards.
While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points.
At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour.
I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours." she continues.

I smile excitement and anxiousness now filling my bones.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school.
I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." she says, her eyes lingering on Neville's cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Ron's smudged nose.

At that multiple people begin fidgeting with their uniforms and hair.

I hold back a laugh at this.

"I shall return when we are ready for you," said McGonagall.

"Please wait quietly."

She left the chamber.

"How exactly do they sort us into houses?" Harry finally spoke.

"Some sort of test, I think.
Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking." replied Ron.

Harry looked around anxiously.