Chapter 23

I was wrong.

Things didn't improve for the Gryffindors as the Potions lesson continued.

Snape put us all into pairs and set us to mix up a simple potion to cure boils.

He swept around in his long black cloak, watching us weigh dried nettles and crush snake fangs, criticising almost everyone except Malfoy, whom he seemed to like.

I'd been lucky to be paired with Malfoy.

Which meant that things I did were seen in a good light or completely ignored. Snape even complemented me on my crushed snake fangs.

He was just telling everyone to look at the perfect way Malfoy had stewed our horned slugs when clouds of acid green smoke and a loud hissing filled the dungeon.

Neville had somehow managed to melt the kid next to him's cauldron into a twisted blob, and their potion was seeping across the stone floor, burning holes in people's shoes.

Within seconds, the whole class was standing on their stools while Neville, who had been drenched in the potion when the cauldron collapsed, moaned in pain as angry red boils sprang up all over his arms and legs.

"Idiot boy!" snarled Snape, clearing the spilled potion away with one wave of his wand.

"I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?" Neville whimpered as boils started to pop up all over his nose.

"Take him up to the hospital wing," Snape spat at the kid who cauldron was just magic-Ed away to god knows where.

Then herounded on Harry and Ron, who had been working next to Neville.

"You...Potter...why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? Thought he'd make you look good if he got it wrong, did you? That's another point you've lost for Gryffindor."

This was so unfair that Harry opened his mouth to argue, but Ron kicked him behind their cauldron.

"Don't push it," he muttered, "I've heard Snape can turn very nasty."

Honestly it was a miracle Snape hadn't heard that seeing, as I could hear it from across the room. Though it seemed I had been giving the boys alot more attention that the rest of the class since even Malfoy the kid who always watched them for a single flaw to report hadn't heard it.

After class the "Slytherin Squad", as we'd been termed after the past week of constantly roaming the castle in a herd, began walking up the stairs to the grat hall. I lagged in the back mostly because I'd mostly began to feel outcast by them.

Over the past week I'd relayed my "Family lineage" so many times it had begun to feel like the truth. All of them seemed to always talk about the wizarding world and the newest cloak or the best brooms.

I played along and at first it was fun talking and learning about the wizarding world but by now it had grown stale. I missed being able to talk about the most stupid things with May.

Like how if people were animals which animal would a person in specific be? Before I could just talk about it believing it was just a joke but now if I were to ask someone this they would answer it with wizarding magic rules and how it would depend of the flick of the wand or maybe the incantation or perhaps the person's inner animal.

It was dissapointing.

I'd been walking so slow it had come to the point that I could barely hear the conversation that the group held.

I was doing the thing where I just sorta stared at every roof and chip and payed attention to every little detail while ignoring the rest of my surroundings.