Chapter 8

A tinkling bell rang somewhere in the depths of the shop as I stepped inside.

It was a tiny place, empty except for a single, spindly chair that I promptly ignored knowing well and clear that at the moment I would be incapable of sitting still.

McGonagall too chose not to sit in the chair.

It was extremely quiet which gave my hyper excitement no release only making my anticipation grow.

I looked around at the thousands of narrow boxes piled neatly right up to the ceiling.

For some reason, the back of my neck prickled. The dust and silence here seemed to tingle with some secret magic.

It was amazing.

"Good afternoon," said a soft voice.

The noise startled me and by the looks of it McGonagall too.

This calmed my hyper-excitement.

I was still grinning but now it wasn't the same Chesire grin from earlier.

An old man stood before us, his wide, pale eyes shining like moons through the gloom of the shop.

"Hello," I say happily.

"Ah."
"A new child. A muggle-born I presume." He said.

I choose not to respond due to the biases I'd heard earlier.

He then turned and noticed McGonagall.

"Minerva! Always good to see you." He said.

"9.5 inches long, fir, and a dragon heartstring core, wasn't it," He said

"Yes, sir." She said smiling gently.

"A powerful wand indeed," he said nodding.

He then turned back to me and said, "What's your name?"

"It's Y/N L/N, sir," I say.

The man seemed extremely powerful so I had to be respectful.

"Well then Ms. L/N, The wand chooses the wizard, or in your case, witch. So I'll have to know about you to get you the right match." He said smiling.

I nod.

"Well, now, Ms. L/N. Let me see." He said, pulling a long tape measure with silver markings out of his pocket.

"Which is your wand arm?" He asked.

"Umm... I'm (insert direction.(If your ambidextrous then instead of a direction read it as ambidextrous and ignore the handed at the end. It doesn't exist to you~~~) {If you were curious I'm a right-y}) handed." I say hoping that's what he meant.

"Hold out your arm. That's it." He said as he took measurements.

He measured from my shoulder to finger, then wrist to elbow, shoulder to floor, knee to armpit, and round my head.

"Every Ollivander wand has a core of a powerful magical substance, Ms. L/N. We use unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers, and the heartstrings of dragons.
No two Ollivander wands are the same, just as no two unicorns, dragons, or phoenixes are quite the same.
And of course, you will never get such good results with another wizard's wand." He said as he meassured.

Soon I noticed that the tape measure, which was measuring the most random things like the size of my fingers, was doing this on its own.

Mr. Ollivander was flitting around the shelves, taking down boxes.

"This should do," he said, and the tape measure crumpled into a heap on the floor.

"Right then, Ms. L/N. Try this one. Yew and dragon heartstring. 8 inches. Quite flexible. just take it and give it a wave." He said