Chapter 12

"Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one," she said.

She had a bossy sort of voice, lots of bushy brown hair, and rather large front teeth.

She held her head high.

I smiled, By the looks of it she was the mom friend.

"We've already told him we haven't seen it," said Ron, but the girl wasn't listening, she was looking at the wand in his hand.

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then." said the girl.

She sat down next to me.

Ron looked taken aback.

"Errr... all right."

He cleared his throat.

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow," he said with a little swish of his wand.

Sadly Scabbars still lay there, its grey fur still the same dirty grey it had always been.

"Are you sure that's a real spell?" said the girl.

"Well, it's not very good, is it?
I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's worked for me.
Nobody in my family's magic at all.
It was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased.
Of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard.
I've learned all our course books by heart, of course.
I just hope it will be enough." she says in a hurry.

"I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you," she adds.

Harry looked at Ron and me and looked relieved to see by Ron's stunned face that we hadn't learned all the course books by heart either.

I didn't look quite as stunned because I too went through the books.

I didn't learn them but I did go through them.

I smiled and responded "I'm Y/N L/N.
I'm not a muggle-born but I did grow up in a muggle orphanage, unaware of my heritage.
So I know what you mean by surprised.
I'd actually thought it was a joke for weeks until Professor McGonagall payed my orphanage a visit to help me shop at Diagon Alley."

At this I suppose Ron and Harry realised that they too, had to introduce themselves.

"I'm Ron Weasley," Ron muttered.

"Harry Potter," said Harry.

"Are you really?" said Hermione.

"I know all about you, of course.
I got a few extra books.
For background reading, you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century." She said smiling.

"Am I?" said Harry, looking dazed.

"Goodness, didn't you know, I'd have found out everything I could if it was me," said Hermione.

"Do any of you know what house you'll be in?
I've been asking around, and I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best; I hear Dumbledore himself was in it, but I suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad...
Anyway, we'd better go and look for Neville'stoad.
You three had better change, you know, I expect we'll be there soon." she said as she left, taking the toadless boy with her.

"Whatever house I'm in, I hope she's not in it," said Ron.

"I don't know. I think she's nice. Would be helpful to have a smart friend especially when you are bad at learning things." I say.

He threw his wand back into his trunk.

"Stupid spell... George gave it to me, bet he knew it was a dud," said Ron.