Seventy Eight

GAME OF BOYLES

It was a beautiful day in the country, the sun was shining, and the nutria were singing

It was a beautiful day in the country, the sun was shining, and the nutria were singing. The Boyle family were all preparing for Pappy Boyle's birthday; beige streamers and beige balloons were hung whilst the family made cake.

"Good morning, Cousin Tommy." A woman in beige crosses a living room. "I love you." She grinned before hugging Tommy.

"Good morning, Cousin Mel. I love you." Tommy said in the embrace. "Good morning, Cousin Sam. I love you." He sang out, moving to the next Boyle.

"Good morning, Cousin Tommy. I love you." Sam wrapped his arms around the small boy. "Good morning, Cousin Becca. I love you." He mentioned bringing food over to the dining table.

"Good morning, Cousin Sam. I love you." Becca beamed squeezing the man. "Good morning, Pappy Boyle. I love you." He opened his arms to hold Pappy.

"Good morning, Becca. I love you." Pappy held onto the beige boy.

"Ooh, extra-long hug. What got into you this morning, Pappy?" Becca giggled before leaving the hug to find Pappy stiff and lifeless. "Pappy!" He yelped.

~

With Jake, Charles, and Terry off to Pappy Boyle's funeral. The rest of the squad were inside the precinct, Holt and Amy stood around Scully's desk instructing him on his case as Y/N and Rosa wandered into the bullpen, "Yo. You forgot your lunch." Rosa called out before passing a brown paper bag to the man.

"Oh. Thank you, detectives." Holt spoke back.

"I have to say, sir, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a great choice." Y/N threw the man a thumbs-up with a soft smile. "It's my second choice, my first being blueberries that have raspberries for hats!"

"Well, Kevin and I would usually make an egg sandwich for each other, but we're no longer together." Holt bowed his head.

"Sir, I didn't realize you were still staying at Y/N and Rosa's. I thought couple's counseling was going well." Amy recalled.

"Not anymore. At Kevin's request, I offered to reduce my work hours by twenty-six percent. Kevin countered with fifteen. Which I countered with thirty. Then Kevin says forty--" Holt rambled on.

"Seems like a lot of math for therapy."

"That's what Dr. Cheryl said... which is why we fired her, and now we're working with Dr. Ramanujan." Holt agreed with a swift point of the finger. "He's a physicist with a nice, concrete worldview. Anyway, Kevin refuses to budge from 36%. And I'm starting to worry that I might lose to him." He clutched onto his lunch bag.

"You mean lose him."

"No. Lose to him. Therapy is a chess match. And... I will prevail."

"Or it's about saving your marriage. You should make a grand romantic gesture." Amy suggested with a lift of her shoulders.