Thirty Six

CRIME & PUNISHMENT

"People have come from all over the city to mourn

"People have come from all over the city to mourn. The grief is palpable. But the lights from these candles have never shone brighter. Pizza Rat, dead tonight at the age of four. Kit." Haley, the news reporter said.

"All right, Haley, thank you for that. I think it's gonna be a long, sad night for all of us, huh?" The old news reporter turned to his co-host.

"2017 strikes again." She sniffled.

"Indeed it does." The male looked from the female to the camera. "In other news, we are just days away now from the start of a trial for NYPD detectives Jake Peralta and Rosa Diaz. They were arrested two weeks ago for a whole string of bank robberies."

"The pair are currently out on bail but, if convicted, face up to 15 years in prison." The female mentioned, fiddling with a pen.

"Yeah, Anna, these disgraced detectives were apprehended after a months-long investigation by hero cop Lieutenant Melanie Hawkins."

"While there is little to no public information about Detective Diaz, Channel 12 has learned this isn't the first time Peralta has been on the wrong side of the law. We just uncovered cell phone footage from a Criss Angel magic show." Anna raised a brow as the screen cuts to Jake.

"I just want to know how he did it. He's a mind freak! A mind freak!" The footage shows Jake shouting as two security guards drag him away from the show.

~

Now, with the trial sneaking up on the two, the squad where all gathered at an empty Shaw's bar to discuss things over, "Okay, update on our trial prep. This is our lawyer, Samuel Miller, who, in many ways, is in charge of our defence." Jake pointed to the nicely suited man seated at the table in front of him.

"In every way." Samuel corrected.

"Well, 'many' is part of 'every.' I'm facing 15 years in prison. Just let me have this. Okay." Jake drew his teeth over his lower lip before placing his hands on his hips.

"So, prosecution's case is strong." Samuel rose from his chair before spinning around to the seated squad. "You two were caught red-handed robbing a bank by one of the NYPD's most esteemed detectives in front of two dozen eyewitnesses." He recalled.

"Right, but can't Captain Holt just testify he knew you were trying to take down Hawkins from the inside?" Terry piped up.

"Unfortunately, no. Legally you can't testify for your best friend." Jake's smile faded into a frown.

"That's not a law."

"No? Sam?" Jake crossed his arms over his chest as he turned from Holt to Samuel.

"Not a law."

"Well, point is, he didn't deny we're best friends," Jake muttered under his breath, trying to contain his happiness.