Chapter 31.

I wake up with something heavy weighing me down. Hayden's head was lying across my chest, his leg splayed across both of mine, and his arm resting by my head. I'm not sure how or when he got this way, but I make no move because I don't want to disturb him.

I realize this is the first time and probably the only time I wake up before him. So I make sure to stare hard and memorize his beautiful sleeping face. And to memorize the soft exhales coming from his nose with each breath he takes. For a man who doesn't sleep often, he looks so at peace and not bothered by dreadful nightmares.

I look over at the clock on his nightstand; 4:23 am. It's too damn early to be awake. I stare at the ceiling thinking about last night. My mom is alive. I wonder if Mr. Alexander knew this too and just didn't want to tell me. I answer my own question within the same second; of course he knew. He is probably in contact with my mother as well and the three of them made it a point in their lives to hide this from me, no matter what it took. I'm surrounded by a bunch of liars.

"David is your real father." This was definitely the second most unbelievable thing I heard last night.

My mom and Mr. Alexander were having an affair and he's my dad. What the hell?

Alice Alexander.

No, that doesn't sound right.

Marie Alexander.

Ugh, I don't know what to think anymore. I forced myself to go back to sleep but not without looking at the beautiful man lying on me one last time, because I knew by the time I wake up again, he will be awake and no longer beside me.

___________

After freshening up in the bathroom, I went downstairs for breakfast. Hayden was still upstairs in the shower. "Good morning Miss Greene." Carol announces when I get into the kitchen.

"Good morning Mrs. Sutter, are you always here?"

"Yes, every day. Breakfast?"

"Yes please, I'm starving." I tell her. I watching her make breakfast in silence. I thought I may as well start up a conversation with her.

"Are you ever tired of working for Hayden? Do you have a family?"

"I enjoy working for Mr. Stymest, and yes I do have a family. My husband Jerome and two kids, Hilary who is fourteen and Antonio who is six. I see them while he's at work."

"For how long?" I ask.

"Only an hour or two."

"But don't you miss them, and wish you could stay with them for longer?"

"Of course, but I have a lot of work to do in this house."

"You should take off, just for the weekends, so you can be with your family."

She flushes, "That would be nice."

"What would be nice?" Hayden asked joining me at the breakfast bar.

"Oh, I was just telling Mrs. Sutter that you should give her the weekends off so she can be with her family. Would you be okay with that Hayden?"

"Yeah no problem. You can have the weekends off." Hayden says surprising Mrs. Sutter.

"Really?" She asked wide-eyed.

"Yes." He shrugs and she smiles shyly at him before returning her attention back to the food.

"What about the security, can they get the weekends off too?" I ask, just curious.

"Don't push it Alice." He says smirking. I hope he does give them time off, he is a dependent man. He needs to learn to be on his own for once, without having Mrs. Sutter and Wade, Geoff, and Tanner at his disposal.