Chapter 26.

Holy hell I was hot. Hot and clammy. I wasn't the only one who was hot, Hayden, whose body was splayed across mine, was beyond sweaty. Between the thick black blanket and a sweating Hayden lying on top of me, I was burning up. Gently lifting his damp limbs from my body, I stand from the bed. Going downstairs, I get myself a glass of water to cool down my burning body. Taking my glass upstairs with me I clamber back into the bed.

"Alice?" I hear Hayden calling my name. His voice sounds so soft, so confused and scared. "No." He whispers, his eyebrows knit together.

What the hell is going on?

"Hayden?" I whisper. He doesn't budge.

"Please, stop." He begs clutching onto his chest just above his heart.

"Baby, wake up." The minute my hand touches his skin he jumps up, gasping for air. I retract my hand startled by his sudden movement.

I watch him as he looks around the room before his eyes catch mine. They widen. I saw nothing but fear in his gaze. I try to reach out to him but he backs away from my touch, he backs away from me.

"Don't touch me." His airy voice shakes and he stands up getting out of the bed.

I'm so confused. "What happened?"

"It was you." He chokes.

"What was me?" Still sitting in the bed, I move closer to where he was standing, but he continues to back away; further and further.

"All this time it was you Alice."

I stand from the bed, I want to hold him. I make another move towards him but his next words stop me right in my tracks, "No, Alice, don't touch me. Please stay away from me."

I blink at the scared man in front of me. What the hell did I do? He walks out of the room leaving me alone, confused, and unsure of what to do now. Do I go after him and risk him rejecting me and blaming me for something I don't know if I did? Do I wait here? Should I go back to sleep? I don't know what the fuck to do.

I decide it best to wait until later and I go back to sleep. I was going to have to be up in another two hours to get ready for work.

Waking up to my alarm, Hayden was not lying beside me. He didn't come back to bed. I frown getting out of the bed and going into the bathroom. I still don't know what I did to make him become upset with me.

After getting myself cleaned up I go into Hayden's closet and find some of my clothes that I left here on his birthday. I change into them for work and head downstairs, "Good morning Miss Greene, do you want breakfast?" She was already washing pots from the sink.

"I just want some yogurt and a water, I can get it myself. Do you by any chance know where Hayden is?"

"He left for work already Miss Greene."

I get myself a strawberry and blueberry oat yogurt parfait from the refrigerator along with a cold bottle of Voss water.

Just last night Hayden was declaring his fondness for me, but not even ten hours pass and he's telling me to stay away from him. What did I do to him? Why won't he tell me what happened?

I try calling Hayden on my way to work but he doesn't answer. He won't even talk to me.

I stop at Starbucks for Dr. James coffee not getting anything for myself, I'd rather my dad's coffee over Starbucks. Dr. James was sitting in his office looking over a file. "It's that time of year again." He mutters sipping his coffee.

"What time is that?"

"Summer." He replies. "Parents who think their children, aged between thirteen through eighteen, are suffering from depression want them to visit specialist during the months schools are closed."