Not a happy ending

Highschool Au
Friends
Kinda sad
Short story

In a high school in Japan, there were two students named Kokichi Ouma and Shuichi Saihara. Kokichi was known to be a mischievous prankster who loved to play practical jokes on his classmates, while Shuichi was a serious and studious detective-in-training.

One day, Kokichi decided to confess his love to Shuichi. He had been harboring feelings for him for a long time, and he couldn't keep them bottled up any longer. So, he planned to confess his love to Shuichi in a grand and romantic way.

Kokichi set up a big stage in the school courtyard, complete with flowers, lights, and music. He waited for Shuichi to arrive and when he did, Kokichi got down on one knee and declared his love for him. Shuichi was taken aback but tried to let Kokichi down gently, explaining that he didn't feel the same way.

However, Kokichi was not prepared for this rejection. He had believed that Shuichi would reciprocate his feelings, and he was devastated. In a fit of anger and embarrassment, he lashed out at Shuichi, accusing him of leading him on and playing with his emotions.

Shuichi was hurt by Kokichi's outburst and didn't know how to react. He tried to calm Kokichi down, but Kokichi was inconsolable. He ran away from the school, leaving Shuichi alone on the stage.

Days passed, and Shuichi couldn't stop thinking about what had happened. He felt guilty for hurting Kokichi's feelings, but he knew that he couldn't force himself to love someone he didn't have romantic feelings for.

Meanwhile, Kokichi had disappeared from school. No one knew where he had gone, and Shuichi was worried about him. He tried to reach out to Kokichi, but his messages went unanswered.

Eventually, Kokichi returned to school, but he was not the same person. He had become withdrawn and distant, and he refused to speak to anyone, including Shuichi.

The incident had taken a toll on both of them, and their friendship was never the same again. Shuichi regretted the way things had turned out, and he wished he could go back and handle the situation differently. Kokichi, on the other hand, had learned a painful lesson about the consequences of confessing his love in such a public and grand way.