𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩 𝟏

"Watch where you're walking bitch

"Watch where you're walking bitch." I gasp and turn around to the girl who had just walked into me. If she wasn't already swallowed up in the crowd behind me, I swear I would've ripped her face clean off.

I roll my eyes and go back to forcing my way through the crowded streets of New York City, with my phone pressed against my ear as I struggle to hear the voice on the other end over the chaotic traffic and busy people around me.

I'm currently on my way to meet my beloved boyfriend, though that may be a bit of a stretch given that he has chosen to do this at the busiest hour of the day, when everyone is racing home from work.

A sudden use of my name pulls me back to the phone call, "Vivienne, did you hear me?" My mother's voice comes clear from the other end of the phone, I then realise I hadn't heard a thing she was saying.

I nibbled on my bottom lip as I weave through the gathers of people heading in my direction. They seemed ignorant of my presence, making no effort to move out of my way. Typical city people, always in a constant rush, their eyes fixed on their phones or the ground beneath their feet.

"Uh, yeah—" I respond hesitantly,

My mother let out a disapproving "tsk" before repeating herself. "Your father and I must speak with you tonight, dear. Could you please be home by six?" she questions me, though it sounds more like a demand, rather than a question.

I let out a deep sigh as I pressed the phone to my ear. It seemed like every time they called, it was only to coax me into doing something I didn't want to do, they always need to persuade me into doing something.

Through the crowd of people, I finally manage to come in sight of the cafe a few stores down, which rips me from my boring phone call with my mother, yet again. "Uh— yeah okay, I'll see you then, love you!" I respond quickly into the phone before hanging up and dropping it into my Prada shoulder bag as I enter the shop.

The smell of brewed coffee floods my nose as I walk further inside, I scan the whole shop until I'm met with a soft familiar face. Luka, sitting alone at a corner table, with his tousled brown hair just covering his eyes, which are focused on his laptop.

I stroll over and sit silently in the chair opposite him; his dark, unkempt hair is the only thing I can see on his face over the laptop screen. Both his eyes and his focus are glued to the laptop screen in front of him, so in an attempt to gain his attention I gently push down on the top of the laptop while smiling innocently.

His emerald eyes narrow as he looks at me, his brows furrow, and a scowl crosses his face for a brief second before he eventually realises. After returning my greeting with a friendly grin, he says, "Sorry Viv, I was just—" indicating the closed laptop, but before he can finish his sentence, I nod my head indicating that I understand.

Luka is a hard worker; ever since his father went bankrupt due to financial woes, he has been trying to reestablish the business firm. His father worked with mine, which is the only reason why I knew of Luka before we even got together.