𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩 𝟏𝟎

I shot up in a panic, yet again

I shot up in a panic, yet again. Except, I felt as if I actually had a reason this time.

I frantically search the sheets around me on the bed for my phone, growing more and more worried when I can't find it. The last thing I can remember was Luka calling me early this morning, and I must've passed out from exhaustion after he hung up.

Finally, my hands managed to find my phone. I eagerly unlocked it, my eyes scanning the screen for any sign of him. With bated breath, I scrolled through the notifications, my heart pounding in my chest as I search for his name.

None.

The sound of his slurred voice replays in my mind, haunting me with his heartbroken plea. He begged me not to marry him, his words a desperate plea for me to reconsider. He must've changed his mind at the last minute. though he did sound drunk, which doesn't make much sense since I managed to help him get sober a couple of years ago. It was a long and difficult journey, but we had made it through together, he wouldn't do that to himself again.

I was about to call him back when a sudden knock on my bedroom door interrupted me. My mother walked in, followed by a group of ladies who trailed behind her. "good morning dear." she chirps with a graceful stride. She approaches me and announces that Rosa, Maria, and Ida had arrived to help me with getting ready for the wedding.

My attention shifts over to the three ladies at my door. The phone call had thrown me off, and I felt as if all my self preparation for this wedding had been thrown out the window. The wedding is today, and I can't afford to be distracted. But the call had already done its damage, and I couldn't shake off the feeling.

"Oh, alright." I say with a slightly forced smile, before sliding out of my bed and following the four of them downstairs and into the dining room.

The room was completely turned into preparation with every corner dedicated to this wedding, A luxurious hair and makeup station was set up, complete with all the necessary tools and products. A dressing area was also arranged, with a full-length mirror and the wedding dress I had chosen. It was clear that my mother had gone all out for this but this is just how she is.

I took a second to take it all in before heading over to the velvet chair in front of the wide mirror and taking a seat. The hair stylist, which I assume is Maria begins to brush out my hair while trying to make conversation about "my big day" and how I must be so excited. But my mind is completely somewhere else, I need to talk to Luka before anything happens.

After my hair had been styled in long curls, we moved on to makeup. I've been sitting patiently for at least forty minutes, but the longer I wait, the more anxious I get. Despite my best efforts to remain calm and collected, my anxiety was beginning to bubble up to the surface.

I fidgeted in my seat, tapping my foot and drumming my fingers on the armrests. I stare back into my reflection, watching as she applies eyeshadow to my eyes, she went with an elegant look after I told her to do anything. I couldn't be less interested in this wedding, and I couldn't be bothered pretending to care about something that meant nothing to me.

Eventually, she was done, and my mother ruled for a break, which I used to make an escape and try to call Luka again. I headed around the corner and into the room just off the foyer, before calling his number and bringing the phone to my ear.

I waited through every ring, anxiously biting on my newly painted nail, only to end up on his voicemail. I tried again, voicemail. and again, voicemail. As I was about to try again, my mother calls from the other room.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

My heart was pounding as I stood outside the grand doors of the room. I could hear the muffled chatter of my fiancé and the other strangers who were eagerly waiting for my appearance. My palms were sweaty and my knees felt weak. I took a deep breath and tried to steady myself before it was time to walk through the doors. As I stood there, my father's arm linked with mine, his voice droned on in the background of my ear, but I couldn't seem to focus on anything he was saying.

My father's firm grip on my arm brought me back to present. The doors of the grand ballroom suddenly swung open, revealing an audience of elegantly dressed guests. The sound of music filled the air, and all eyes were fixed on me as I stepped into the room. As I made my way down the aisle, all eyes were following me.

However, amidst all the stares, there was one pair of eyes I couldn't find. As I scanned the room, my eyes fell upon Luka's empty chair, suddenly sending a wave of nausea went through me. despite not returning any of my calls and texts, I still hoped that he'd show up, I needed him here.

I can't think of anything else but Luka, despite the fact that I'm standing in front of the man I'm marrying. I felt a pang of regret, a sense that I was making a mistake. But it was too late now. I had made my choice, and I would have to live with it. With a deep breath, I gathered my composure and managed to pull myself together, at least for this part.

Ryder's gentle touch lifts the veil from my face, revealing my anxious expression. He looks at me with uncertainty, but before he can say anything, the man standing between us begins to speak. I try to focus on his words, but my attention is drawn to the empty chair beside me.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───
AN/word count - 1040