𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩 𝟒𝟖

"Oh, look at you!" A sudden voice from behind me catches my attention, and before I could fully comprehend what was happening, a pair of hands swiftly made their way towards my stomach, pressing against it

"Oh, look at you!" A sudden voice from behind me catches my attention, and before I could fully comprehend what was happening, a pair of hands swiftly made their way towards my stomach, pressing against it. It seems that being eight months pregnant, the first thing people notice is my massive stomach.

A gentle smile graces my lips as I meet their fascinated gaze, their eyes fixated on my stomach. I don't necessarily know these people well, but that has never stopped strangers from reaching out and touching my stomach.

Ryder suddenly appears next to me and proudly announces, "I did that," pointing to my stomach, as if anyone else could have "done it." He's been the most excited person I've ever seen about a pregnancy, he's obsessed with talking and touching my stomach, I think he's been speaking to it more than he has me. His whole life is this baby, his first priority.

Not too long after the wedding, he had left the business as he saw no point in staying involved after everything that had happened, and then had us all packed up and moved away to the most beautiful, dream home I'd ever seen, just like he promised. I finally got away from it all.

Except now, we're back for Wren and Finn's wedding, hence why we're surrounded by hundreds of people, with Wren and Finn nowhere to be found. They're both as chaotic as each other, they seem to feed off each other's energy, and I'm fairly certain that they're both extremely drunk at this point.

I'm standing close beside Ryder, attempting to engage in the conversation with a group of unfamiliar people. But despite my best efforts, I can't shake off the nagging feeling that there are eyes on me, observing my every move.

I take a moment to glance around the room, through the crowds of people, my eyes scanning every corner. When suddenly, I find a pair of eyes that were achingly familiar.

I stare back at Luka from across the room. He's standing beside a petite brunette, but his eyes are focused solely on me, bright and full of hope. I'm suddenly paralysed with the inability to move, I have no idea why he'd be here, but again, there are probably two hundred people here, Finn has connections with everyone.

He seems to be back to his old self, suit and all, looking just like he did before everything had happened. I can only assume he has gotten sober and back on track with his business by now, he looks happier, familiar. I eventually manage to muster up a smile of innocence and pride, but his gaze immediately shifts to my stomach, his expression slightly changing.

Suddenly, Ryder grabs my attention by wrapping his arm around my waist and guiding me to a seat at our table. He hadn't noticed Luka standing across the room, which is probably for the best, I don't know how he'd react.

I'm over it for the most part, I've moved on, and I'm happier, and safer, but I doubt Ryder will ever forgive someone for physically hurting me. Luka should be grateful he's still alive, It wouldn't be Ryder's first time killing someone for me.

I smile at Ryder in appreciation, before my eyes make their way back over to Luka, except he's not there anymore, and neither is the girl. My eyebrows pinch in confusion as I scan around again, trying to process it all, knowing deep down that this would be the last and final time our paths would ever cross,

But I'm happy with that, things were meant to be this way, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

I settle back into my chair comfortably as Ryder takes a seat beside me, his hand finding its place on my thigh, his thumb beginning to trace gentle circles on my stomach like usual. And just as I was beginning to finally relax, Finn suddenly and abruptly appears at our table, dressed in a tux and looking extremely drunk — per usual — but he looks happier.

Wren, trails closely behind him, her face adorned with a wide, glowing smile. She stood beautifully, her big white wedding dress cascading behind her, her blonde hair, delicately styled, framing her face.

They seem so happy. After Finn had finally proposed, Wren cried for over an hour straight, and Ryder couldn't have been more proud of him for finally doing it. He's glad that he was able to find his person, just like he did.

"My, you look lovely." Even over the music, Finn's slurred voice could be probably heard by anyone within a ten-mile radius, following a slight stumble, catching himself against the table as he playfully mocks and flirts with Ryder.

Ryder responds with a chuckle and shake of his head, "Perhaps it would be wise to ease up on the drinks there." We all know that Finn won't take Ryder's advice to cut back on his drinking, no matter how many times he's told.

In response, Finn grabs another shot from the table, "Yeah, that would be swell." before shooting it back. Even as Ryder shakes his head in disapproval, he can't seem to stop grinning.

I think me and Ryder are the only sober people left. For obvious reasons, I can't drink, but Ryder on the other hand, has stayed sober ever since he found out about the pregnancy, and has no intentions of picking up another drink.

Wren slumps down on the chair beside me, looking exhausted yet ecstatic. Drunkenly, she reaches over and puts her hand against my stomach, her face a few inches away. She has been so impatient, and has been practically begging me to go into labour. "Can you hurry up, I want to be an aunty." she whines, putting on a fake pout as she pleads with my belly.

I let out a giggle, Ryder suddenly joining in. I now have two faces almost pressed up against my stomach — we look insane. "Yeah, hurry up, I want to be a daddy." he urges, when I suddenly feel a gentle flutter, a tiny kick against my belly in response to Ryder's voice.

My eyes widen and my hand instinctively reaches down as a broad grin breaks out on Ryder's face. The baby doesn't move or kick very often, but when it does, it's generally in response to Ryder's voice, which he absolutely loves. I think it already has a favourite.

"My wife." Finn dramatically and elegantly reaches his hand out to Wren, before pulling her from her chair, a squeal leaving her mouth as he pulls her into a kiss. I smile in admiration before returning my eyes back down to Ryder.

I watch as his eyes glow beneath me, as his face sits inches away from my stomach. His eyes meet mine as his smile takes over his face, his dimple making an appearance in the corner of his cheek.

I can't help but focus solely on Ryder and my stomach, a big smile spread across my face. This is everything I've ever searched for, these two people will forever be the only things I'll ever need. And even though things may have started out rough and confusing, I am eternally grateful for the sacrifices I had to endure in order to reach this point. Now that I'm at home, I feel more at peace than I ever have in my entire life, I feel complete.

I suppose even though the beginning was filled with pain and regret, it doesn't necessarily guarantee a painful and regretful ending.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───
AN/word count - 1300