𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩 𝟒𝟎

Ryder pulls open the passenger door, and despite the gravity of the current situation, he manages to muster a warm smile, hoping to put me at ease

We've arrived at his father's for Christmas, and spending the holiday with his father was not something he was particularly looking forward to. I wasn't very phased, until I was informed that my parents would be here too. I'm excited to see my mother sure, my father, not so much. Since moving out, I've made it a point to stay away from him, but now I'm forced to sit at dinner with him.

Not to mention, it's Ryder's and I's first Christmas together, and we'd rather be spending it together.

With my hand clasped in his, we made our way towards his grand front entrance, small crisp snowflakes swirling around us. Ryder approached the door with a sense of hesitation, his finger hovering over the doorbell.

Meanwhile, I took a moment to survey our surroundings, my eyes scanning the area. The towering white pillars that stood guard at the entrance, and beyond them, sprawling green gardens adorned the lawns, the large white windows and the intricate detailing on the walls.

Suddenly, the big brown oak doors, decorated with a huge festive wreath opens, revealing a young maid, welcoming us in.

Ryder takes in a deep breath, pushing it out through his mouth as we step inside the warm foyer. I slowly slide off my white cashmere coat, revealing the polo Ralph Lauren knitted jumper, and my Burberry mini skirt as my eyes scan the interior. The foyer opens up to dual grand stairways, pristine white walls and a marble floor.

The maid approached me with a gentle smile, her hands outstretched to take my coat. I handed it over to her, watching as she deftly threw it over her arm before she shot us a warm smile and disappeared to the left. As I shift my focus towards Ryder, I notice a hint of concern etched on his face. "It'll be okay," I leant in close, my lips barely moving as I whispered, my fingers holding onto his arm for reassurance.

Sudden loud obnoxious laughter comes from the living room, my father. I shoot a gentle smile up at Ryder before we head towards them, my brown suede stiletto boots echoing against the marble as we draw closer.

They're seated on the plush sofas, arranged in a circle around the crackling orange fireplace. The room was decorated with festive decorations, and a towering Christmas tree stood tall in the corner, its branches wrapped with twinkling lights and glittering ornaments.

As we entered the room, their attention suddenly turns to us, our father's eyes lighting up as they watch us walk into the room."Oh, son, you're here!" His father stood up from his chair, his face beaming with a wide smile. He welcomed us warmly, his eyes twinkling with joy. I then leant down and planted gentle kisses on my parents' cheeks before we joined them, listening to their dull conversations.

I sat close to Ryder, feeling the warmth of his hand against my draped thigh as he engaged in conversation with our fathers. The room was filled with the sound of their voices, discussing business and politics. I tried to follow along, but my mind kept wandering off like it usually does in these boring topics. As the conversation continued, Ryder peered down at me and gives me a small smile. I told him it wouldn't be so bad.