𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩 𝟒𝟏

I pull my phone down from my ear, ending the phone call with Finn

I pull my phone down from my ear, ending the phone call with Finn. Ryder's still asleep, so it's given me extra time to make sure everything is ready for his birthday party.

This is the biggest thing I've ever organised, so I'm glad I've had Finn as help. I wanted it to be massive, it's what he deserves. It's almost the same size, if not bigger, than Finn's party. It's taken me at least a month to plan, but I think I have everything in place now. As soon as he opens his eyes, the day is all about him.

Silently, I tiptoed back into the bedroom, careful not to wake him up. I slipped into the bed, pulling the covers over my body. I watched as a smile played on his lips, his eyes still closed as he pulls me closer, the warmth of his body enveloping me. "Happy birthday," I whispered as I brushed a stray strand of hair away from his forehead.

The more Ryder shares about his childhood and the time before we met, the more it hurts. When I had asked about his past birthdays, he said he doesn't remember anything about his birthdays after his mother's death. His father was such a jerk that he didn't even bother to acknowledge his son's birthday and that he's never celebrated it since.

He doesn't know anything about his party, the most he asked for was to spend his day with me. And while I'll give him that, he deserves way more.

As his eyes fluttered open, I could see the weariness in them. But as soon as he saw me, his smile grew wider and he pulled me closer. I could feel his warm breath against my skin as he pressed a kiss against my lips. As much as I'd love to lay here with him all day, I'm far too excited.

A wide grin spreads across my face as my eyes dart back and forth with his. "Do you want your present now?" With a sly grin, he muttered in response, "I got my present right here," as he caged my head against his chest. His arms wrapped tightly around me and by the sound of his breathing, I can tell he's going to fall back asleep.

I quickly slither out of his arms, jumping on my knees. "Get up." I nudge him before climbing off the bed and darting down the hallway. I know he'll love this present, it's kinda a big thing, but once he sees it, he'll love it.

I return back to the living room, gently grabbing the box from the couch. While it has a slide-off lid, it's still wrapped with a big bow and pretty wrapping. I head back down the hallway with a huge smile, finding him leaning against the headboard, rubbing his palm against his eye.

I crawl back onto the bed, placing the present onto his lap, sitting back on my knees. "Okay, go." he shoots me an uncertain look, before hesitantly lifting the lid off, his eyes widening at the sight.

"Vivienne." he breathes out, still staring at it in shock. I smile, leaning forward to peek inside. "Isn't it cute?" My bottom lip turns out, as I gently pat the Rottweiler puppy, curled up asleep inside.

I watch as he gently lifts her out of the box. She's still a baby, so she's tiny, especially in Ryder's hands. I smile, looking down at the small, wriggling bundle in his arms. "You got me a puppy?" disbelief and joy mingling in his voice.